Welcome to the upgraded CADTutor forums!

CADTutor

David,

I found out that using the breadcrumb link does not mark the thread as read.

I guess I just have to scroll.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• CADTutor

• alanjt

• rkmcswain

• Lee Mac

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

No problem David.

How about this one....

When you click on the word "Replies" (in the same link as above), it opens a pop up window but the right column cannot be seen, no matter how far you stretch the window. Can this be fixed so that the contents of the window are visible without horizontal scrolling?

How about this one....

When you click on the word "Replies" (in the same link as above), it opens a pop up window but the right column cannot be seen, no matter how far you stretch the window. Can this be fixed so that the contents of the window are visible without horizontal scrolling?

Yes. that IS something I can resolve. Try it again now and let me know how it looks.

Yes. that IS something I can resolve. Try it again now and let me know how it looks.

Perfect. Little things make all the difference sometimes... ;-)

Does this mean that with new forums Re-Mark will be upgrading his avatar from the T-101 to the improved TX ?

Maybe if you got a haircut Steve I might consider it. LOL

I'm afraid that comes under the heading of "Get used to it". :o

I tend to use this mindset when something is redone, such as a template or an updated program. There are some things that I already miss about the old one but I can see the potential of the new design. I'm already getting used to things and once my brain readjusts then everything will be good again, and probably would hate to go back to the old style after awhile.

I tend to use this mindset when something is redone, such as a template or an updated program. There are some things that I already miss about the old one but I can see the potential of the new design. I'm already getting used to things and once my brain readjusts then everything will be good again, and probably would hate to go back to the old style after awhile.

I would definitely agree with that .

Gotta say, I love the way that unread threads are bold - makes things much clearer :)

A couple of quick questions:

• What does it mean to have a 'friend' on here?

• Is it possible to be directed to the 'Advanced Posting' when you click reply and have the Quick reply at the bottom if you want to use it? (like how it used to be) - or is this a vB thing?

Thanks for all the hard work David,

Lee

Edited by Lee Mac

• What does it mean to have a 'friend' on here?

Good question. The developers of vBulletin see the forum as a core about which a social network can be built. Naturally, you'll want to keep up to date with what your "friends" are doing, what they're posting etc. So at the moment, adding someone as a friend Facebook style (i.e. they have to agree to be your friend) adds them to your friends list and means that you get a link to their profile from your own. It's a sign of things to come.

Also, it's worth saying that there are some new features in this software that I haven't turned on yet like Facebook Connect where you can use your Facebook account to login to the forum. Groups, which is potentially very useful for us. For example, special interest groups like Architects, Engineers or Programmers could be formed and group discussions take place. Blogs is another big new feature where each member (if I allow it) can have their own blog.

At the moment, I'm still considering how these things will fit into the overall CADTutor strategy and so they will be unveiled when I'm sure how they should be used and also when I'm sure the software features are good enough to make them really useful - currently, some of the features are underpowered in my opinion.

That's a longer answer than I intended to give but it hopefully gives you some idea.

• Is it possible to be directed to the 'Advanced Posting' when you click reply and have the Quick reply at the bottom if you want to use it? (like how it used to be) - or is this a vB thing?

This is very much a vB thing. It caused quite a bit of consternation when it was launched but the basis is that most replies are made using Quick Reply and so that is now the default. It's quicker and the new Ajax technology means that it can be done in-place, which is impressive. So, file this one under "get used to it". The one thing I'd like to see is a smilie drop-down in the Quick Reply editor - that's the thing I miss most from the full editor.

Also, do we have the option of themes?

Only the default CADTutor theme is available at the moment but I may add more themes in the future. I expect there will be a "festive" theme for the Christmas season. However, I do like to keep the look-and-feel of CADTutor fairly consistent so don't expect a World of Warcraft theme any time soon :wink:

I'm just not loving all this white.

Ah, OK, maybe we need a "low contrast" theme for those with big bright monitors. :)

EDIT:

Checks CSS - actually it's not white, the post background is #FAFAFA - off-white. If you're not good, I'll set it to #FFFFFF 8)

Loving this in-place editing...