• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• tiger1337

• dbroada

• reccakeys

• 10west

1. Make it so when it is inserted, it dynamically changes your time controlled elements within the master block each time, on insert it sets the definition and the reference, the master pattern, and it's object placement in the drawing.

2. It then explodes the block,

3. redefines the returned entities, into a new block with the same master block definition name prefix, insertion point and entities.

4. It then appends it's master block name like MasterClock, MasterClock_record1, MasterClock_record2. The routine checks the block collection for the needed next sequence, or...

5. It appends it with a unique combination or key set by the system, like a random hash, system time date crypt or whatever will make it unrepeatable, maybe even a user input suffix.

Your clock won't run the risk of a block def being globally redefined, you can be backward compatible to older versions, and you can have a trackable key, besides the frozen time...

Another alternative is to consider user defined groups, which are really like drawing held persistant selection sets, which can be manipulated in a number of ways.

Dave, your module1.dwg works! It gets inserted fine, and the arrows get drawn to the right position. Do you mind explaining to me what you did?

(sorry for the long delay in response, I've been swamped lately)

Thanks,

tiger1337

Dave, your module1.dwg works! It gets inserted fine, and the arrows get drawn to the right position. Do you mind explaining to me what you did?

(sorry for the long delay in response, I've been swamped lately)

Thanks,

tiger1337

it was simply that you had your parameters a long way from the geometry you had drawn. The actions can be put anywhere (I keep them close) but the parametrs have to be part of the geometry that they refer to.

So, when I draw parameters: I click on 'Rotation Parameter' then I click on the 'center' of the arrow object. Then I specify a radius by extending it beyond the whole arrow object itself (I tried a ton of different radii when I was working before). Then I specify 0 handles in the properties. After that, I click 'Rotation Action' and click on the word 'Angle1' (the Rotation Parameter). Then I click on the arrow object. After that I push "Enter" to let AutoCAD know I don't want to select any other objects. After that it asks me where to place the action tag thing, I click anywhere I want. I honestly did this like 20 different times, varying how I did things. I could never get it to work properly. Are you saving these in a different way I am?

Thanks,

tiger1337

Actually, I think there has to be a different way you are saving these. When I go to open my drawing block, on the AutoCAD open file dialog box, I don't see a preview of the drawing. When I select your drawing, I do. Also, I noticed that when I used my drawing block for the program, one copy of the block had to be on the drawing... otherwise the program crashed on the line where it tried to open the block. With your blocks on the other hand, I don't have this problem.

~tiger1337

Edited by tiger1337
spelling

So, when I draw parameters: I click on 'Rotation Parameter' then I click on the 'center' of the arrow object. Then I specify a radius by extending it beyond the whole arrow object itself (I tried a ton of different radii when I was working before). Then I specify 0 handles in the properties. After that, I click 'Rotation Action' and click on the word 'Angle1' (the Rotation Parameter). Then I click on the arrow object. After that I push "Enter" to let AutoCAD know I don't want to select any other objects. After that it asks me where to place the action tag thing, I click anywhere I want. I honestly did this like 20 different times, varying how I did things. I could never get it to work properly. Are you saving these in a different way I am?

Thanks,

tiger1337

I think that pretty much sums up what I did. The actual radius of the parameter doesn't appear to mean much either, especially when selecting 0 grips :) although when I do use grips I like them to be somewhere sensible.

I understand your frustration. I am now comfotable with dynamic blocks (although they still bite at times) but I can remember getting started with them!! :D

Ok, I am looking at the original module1.dwg that I posted, and I am trying to edit it to make it work like yours. Looking at them they look identical. I must be missing something. As you can tell, I am better at programming autoCAD than I am actually capable of using autoCAD. haha!

What I did was create a new drawing. In another window, I had my old block open. I copied the contents of the old drawing, and pasted them (on the origin) on the new drawing. I then used the WBLOCK command to make a block of that whole new drawing, and saved them as another new drawing. Then I closed everything, and then opened the newblock drawing I created. Opened the block editor (selecting ). Then I added the parameters and actions like I always did. And it worked!!! I'm guessing something with my old block was just corrupt. Dave thank you so much, I really appreciate all you expertise.

~tiger1337

@ reccakeys :

Programming is frustratingly difficult to learn, and always will be (atleast for me)

If you want to learn, just post your objectives on a new thread. People will surely help you.