Accuracy of Exported DEMs?

OceanMapper

Hello,

I am working in Civil3D. I have created a surface and am looking to export to DEM for use in another program. I have been able to export what I need with no problem, but I realized that the outputted elevations from AutoCAD are being rounded instead of using the accuracy of the decimal places in the data. Is there a setting to increase the number of decimal places used in the exported data?

Thanks to anyone willing to help!

I spoke with Autodesk Support on the issue. I was told:

"The USGS specification for the DEM format does not support floating-point values, and so all DEM export is done to 1-foot accuracy. I have seen some mention on the Autodesk Discussion groups of users that have tried novel approaches such as setting tenth-foot as their base unit, but I don't have confirmation that this actually works. It may be necessary to find some way to use the data from which your TIN model was developed if you need increased accuracy in other applications.

What you are describing is the design default for this feature in Civil 3D."

Just so everyone else knows.