3D Wedge

Mk1_Oz

Hi,

I am drawing up an alternator bracket from the car. I am trying to draw a wedge solid in the area shown by the green lines as shown in the attached pic....

Alternator Bracketv2.9.jpg

As you can see it sorta goes across the X Y and Z axis and I just cannot work out how to do it. When I try to draw a 3D wedge it always tries to line the base of it up square with the XY axis but you can see this is not what I want. Can anybody give me some clues please?

Just tried drawing a 3d box then moving it and rotating it into the correct alignment. I will now use slice to create a wedge. Just seems a long way to go about it?????

Well, I would not have chosen your method but it works. You could draw a profile at the angle you want and just extrude along a path, (the width of the wedge).

wedge.png

The angles are not really "real world" for a welded part but fine for a cast part... Either way, you got your result.

Myself I really avoid using AutoCAD's 3D primitives...

Take Care

KC

just an update. I have not got my result after all :(.

When I sliced my 3d box I ended up with the following...

Alternator Bracketv2.11.jpg

You can see that the point that I have referred to as 'A' is not right (it should be level with the top of the block running between the towers).

This has come about due to the angle of the green block versus that block between the towers that it terminates on. Effectively the top surface of the green block is not flat but rather consider that 3 of its corners are on one level then the 'point A' is lifted.

I do not think your projection will work as the above is not taken into account.

Going back to my original method I came up with, all I need to do is to slice using this pink shape as the basis for the slice.

Alternator Bracketv2.11.2.jpg

BUT HOW????? :cry::cry:

I tried creating a solid shape, a surface, mesh etc etc but nothing worked for me. I have taken my entire Sunday to get nowhere and am quite depressed. I can send the AutoCAD files if anybody really want a challenge!!

Sorry to be so thick peoples but I am new to 3D and not overly experienced in CAD anyway....

Well It's would be easiest at the point you are now to loft a surface. Just draw a line connecting your two purple lines to use as a lofting path.

loft_rail.png

loft_rail2.png

Again try your slice. If you get a slice error you may have to scale up the surface to overlap the object to be sliced.

KC

Cheers KC. The purple lines (4 of them) are forming a 3D polyline at the moment. How did you get from your first picture to the second?? Was the surface created purely by the loft command? If I get what you did then the 2 extra short purple lines are being used to LOFT one of the longer purple lines to the other.

I have been trying to convert the purple lines into a surface so that I can try using the Surface command within SLICE but just have not been able to. It appears the LOFT command will do this for me.

In your pictures you still have the 2 short ends of the purple 'rectangle' as being parallel. Mine are not but I do not know if this changes anything in your solution?

Ever grateful

G

Another approach might be to use the LOFT command.

On second thought...nix this suggestion. Sorry.

I'm too stubborn for my own good. I could do it using LOFT but it took a bit more thought/effort.

3DWedgie.jpg

Edited by ReMark
correct spelling error

In your pictures you still have the 2 short ends of the purple 'rectangle' as being parallel. Mine are not but I do not know if this changes anything in your solution?

Well, it would not change the lofting method, but the procedure yes... In my example I used a single line as a path for the loft. If you have two different paths for the loft then use the Guides option...

KC

Lads. I used the loft command to create a surface that was then used in the slice command....worked a treat. As suggested, I did have to extend the purple lines such that the created surface extended outside of the boundaries of the box I was slicing.

Thanks for your time!!!!!!!!