Multi-body Solids in Inventor

JD Mather

Here is an example of how multi-body solids can be used in Inventor.

In many assemblies the geometry across the parts in the assembly follows a continuous flow. It makes logical sense to model in a single file then push out the individual parts if desired.

Multi-body.jpg

You can either model multi-body solids directly as you create the design, or split monolithic solids into multi-body solids.

Here stitched surfaces are used to Split a solid into two solids along a complex split line (one part hidden for visibility).

Split Multi-bodies.png

Continue spliting and detailing additional features - like the mating hole and thread bosses for connectors - all in one ipt file.

Detail Features.png

Here are some other examples of "assemblies" modeled as multi-bodied solids in one part file.

And because Sketch Blocks were used the 2D kinematics of the motion could be tested while still in one ipt file.

Locking Pliers.png

Jack.jpg

• 2 years later...

I have been using the multibody way of modling for a littel While now, and i have differculty determining, when not to use multibody, is there any main rule so to speak?

Not multiple instances in a single assembly.

To keep it simple, let's say you have to model a threaded fastener.

That fastener is used in very different assemblies.

Model as a separate part so that it isn't tied to one particular assembly that was pushed out (Manage>Make Components) from a multi-body.

I very frequently use multi-body now, but I also think it makes sense to break things down into logical sub-assemblies - not one huge multi-body file for something that is complex.

Keep in mind also - that if you don't have back-up files you can loose everything with a multi-body if the file becomes corrupt.

There are pros and cons, have to use a bit of experience-based decision making when to use multi-body and when not.

• 1 month later...

Hey JD, I have read alot of guides and tutorials about multibody and master sketch modling, as i think this is the way for what i'm currently working with, in the company where I am employed, we produce constructions in larger or smaller scale, i have been having trouble making models that and be updated true out the design process, typically we draw up a suggestion for the customer, and often we start producing and then there will besome changes.

until now I have been doing all my work in a singel sketch( I now know that's properly a bad idea) and then using the make part comand exporting in to an assembly. I se alot of others making a master sketch and then deriving it in to multiple part files, afterwards placing them in to an assembly and contraining or grounding them to 0,0,0.

what is the best approach, what is the benefits.

I hope you have the time to answer or point me i the direction of a site or forum where i might find some help.