How to bend it...

nikhil

i dont want to use flange since it leaves the corners....i am trying to make a cabinet box similar to the c.p.u units of computers....thats why i want to bend it...pls help me out with the steps

plate.jpg

Part1.zip

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• nikhil

• JD Mather

• Hopinc

• Mike_Taylor

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

First thing I noticed is that there are no dimensions on Sketch1?

i dont want to use flange since it leaves the corners....

This satement doesn't make sense to me. The corners are going to be the same whether you use Fold or Contoured Flange. Model it any way you know how and then I'll show you how it should have been done.

Is this a sheet metal part?

If so, why are you using Extrude?

Since you are not using the latest release you should always state what release you are using in every thread (add it to your signature or avitar)

In later releases you could use Bend Part on that black line, but not sure that was avialable in 2008.

Bend Part.png

thanks for replying JD...well i am using 2008 and there is a bend option in 2008.it is a sheet metal part...but what is better than extrude,shall i be using face command.....when we use bend the corners are round and i want it to be box like...how do i get it....i might be shifting to 2010 version soon

I doubt there is a Bend Part option in 2008, are you sure it isn't Fold?

How will your part be manufactured? Bent or Folded parts have rounded bends or folds.

Can you post a screen capture of a similar part an AutoCAD 2D drawing?

there is a bend option in 2008,since its a sheet metal part it will converted into boxes..i'll try to post it in 2d drawing or may be i"ll try to post a pic similar to what i am making

Looks like a straight-forward sheet metal part, shouldn't be particularly difficult.

How familiar are you with the standard tools in Inventor (not sheet metal)?

You should be able to model it with the standard tools - then I could show you how to model it with sheet metal tools.

Do the best you can and then attach the file here.

Forget about folding (bending) from flat to as-folded for now. Model it as folded - like the finished part. (I very very rarely fold from flat - it is much easier to model finished geometry and there are other advantages as well.)

hi JD..i am not very familiar with inventor,watever i have learnt is from net and some amount of practice.though i am not very good at it,but i keep on practicing different parts...i do have knowledge about the standard tool,but not to great extent...I'll definitely try to model it using standard tool and will attach the file...on the other hand can u provide me with some tutorial materials on standard tool..that would be a gr8 help...thanks once again for helping me out

hi JD...i have made a new part file using standard tools,but i am not able to post it,bcos the file size even after zipping it is more then permitted limit...pls tell me how to post it here...

... the file size even after zipping it is more then permitted limit......

Find the red End of Part marker at the bottom of the feature tree in the browser.

Drag the red EOP to the top of the browser hiding all features.

Save the file.

Zip and attach the file with the feature tree in a rolled up state.

The bad news is this part is a disaster - the good news is we can really simplify this and learn a lot in the process.

The first thing I noticed is that Sketch1 is not constrained or making use of symmetry about the origin. I suggest you start by reading this document http://home.pct.edu/~jmather/AU2006/MA13-3%20Mather.pdf

Then I will post step-by-step technique for creating the parts.

there is one more query...have i used the extrude command properly in the sketch,bcos i cant think of anything else,have i extruded the sketch in proper manner ?

pls let me know...thanks once again

Hi NikHil,

Unfortunately I must agree with JD's assessment of your model - sorry, I know it's hard to be told that. However, as a first stab you have obviously picked up some of the basics.

If you intend doing more of this work might I suggest that you find some professional training. This will save you hours and hours of playing around by yourself, and give you a much better foundation to progress from.

For some reason your model came into my system at 1/10th scale. You are obviously wanting to create a 2U 19" rack mounting chassis so I just scaled everything up to 456.0mm W x 503.0mm D x 85mm H.

I got the impression from your posts that you might be getting a bit desperate for a result so I created a chassis for you this morning as I had some spare time.

I pretty much dispensed with your model and started again, but I did scale up and re-use the sketches of the holes on the sides. I created half a chassis with the sides holes and mirrored it about centre. Then I cut the holes in the rear. As far as corner treatments go, the number of variations that could be applied to this chassis is almost endless. I chose one that was neat, with no nasty sharp corners. It requires the lid to be a drop on "U" form shape. I personally would not have chosen to do it this way if I had not been following your design intent. This way of working requires too many dimensions to be held. It would be easier and cheaper to have flush sides and a simple flat lid.

The PCB mounting holes have been omitted, but they will only take moments to add. As far as the fan cut-out design goes I am not quite sure what you intended to do as yours would have dropped in bits, so I took the route of using a proprietary guard. This has a great advantage in allowing the best air flow possible.

I have attached herewith a picture and the chassis file. Please do not feel any obligation to use it, if you want to create your own with JD's guidance that's OK.

Regards.

Dave

chassis_assy.png

chassis_new.zip

lid.jpg

Edited by Hopinc

Blast! - My apologies, I have just realised that you are using 2008. The model above was created with 2011.

If you still want the file I can send it to you in IGS format. You should then download and install the "feature recognition" program from Autodesk Labs, import the model file, recognise the features and change it to a sheet metal part. The file you get will not be as elegant as the one above (i.e. it will have considerably more steps in the history tree), but it will still be workable.

Just send me a PM.

Regards.

Dave

Edited by Hopinc

I have just realised that you are using 2008. ..

Dave

When I get a chance I was going to post step-by-step screen captures of techniques that were valid in 2008.

nikhil,

In addition to the correct steps using sheet metal tools I will also be suggesting some changes in your workflow -

a couple of key things -

Whenever possible use Feature Patterns rather than Sketch Patterns.

Whenever possible use the Thread option in the Hole feature rather than adding Thread Features - your holes are too big, not the tap drill size and therefore there will not be any material for the threads. The fasteners will fall into the holes. Using the Hole tool with Thread options insures that the tap drill size is used and aviods this common error of making the hole the same size as the fastener.

Hi JD,

OK over to you.

Just one point before I go, quote: ".. and avoids this common error of making the hole the same size as the fastener."

You are correct but I would recommend using "PEM" and "TR Fasteners" for sheet metal, e.g. the stand-off type. The holes for these are marginally larger than the O.D. of the fasteners. If a clinch stud were to be used the hole size would be the same as the thread size. I was going to suggest that Nikhil have a look at these range of fasteners. Most sheet metal shops keep them, or similar, in stock or have easy access to them.

Bearing in mind that this chassis is 2mm thick, threading is not really an option, unless it is piecered to make more material available for the thread. Even then the size of thread would be restricted by the pitch.

One other thing I would like to mention is that the lid at 1mm thick is bit thin for countersunk screws. The biggest you could hope to use would probably be about M2. Raised screws on the top or bottom of rack units are unacceptable.

Regards.

Dave

Edited by Hopinc

Bearing in mind that this chassis is 2mm thick, threading is not really an option, unless it is piecered to make more material available for the thread. Even then the size of thread would be restricted by the pitch.

I forgot to question the thread size. What was it? 0.8? I used to work out on the shop floor and anything less that M4 was a real pain with broken taps. PEMs would be a much better choice.

Before I begin - where did you get the dimensions? The metal thickness is only about 3 times the thickness of a sheet of paper?

If you are doing a (incorrect) conversion from inches to millimeters you don't need to do conversion in Inventor. Simply enter the units at any time - Inventor will calculate the conversion for you.