Substation design using autocad 2006

thanish81188

Hi.. I am newbie and i m using ACADE 2006..i am tusing ACADE to design substation protection. pls help me whr to fetch the symbol for the schematics(protection block diagrram, relay control logic, dc distribution netwrk etc) also help me with whr to start ADACE learning.thanks in advance..

Good luck with that...no disrespect intended. Are you a newbie to ACAD or just the Electrical version of it? Unless your company has already established a catalog of blocks and customized ACAD Electrical to suit their purposes you may as well use it a ACAD Vanilla and make your own stuff. OTB ACADE does not come ready to use for every electrical application there is. There are some things in it from the sample area, but unless it has been customized it's not much better that Vanilla with LISP and Block Libraries. IMHO

I work in the electrical field and may be able to help you with some symbols/blocks. Can you give more info on what you are doing and what you need? I'll try to help and there are tons of folks here that will be coming along soon. This is the best place for ACAD support - and great bunch of people.

Note that the user is running ACADE 2006 and things have changed dramatically since the introduction of the Ribbon and the many updates to the program over the last five years.

A search of Amazon, Barnes & Noble and Borders turned up no books for AutoCAD Electrical 2006.

I would suggest you upgrade to ACADE 2011.

To my knowledge ACADE does not have blocks specific to substation protection. As previously suggested you might have to create your own. Two other options are to search the websites of manufacturers who make components specific to your needs or find a third-party software maker who has an electrical block library for sale containing the blocks you need to create your drawings.

Note that the user is running ACADE 2006 and things have changed dramatically since the introduction of the Ribbon and the many updates to the program over the last five years.

Yep - you're probably right and DBROADA would be the best brain to pick on this as he is running a relatively new version of it. My experience with ACADE has been with 2006 and 2008. I would love to have the time to customize it and use it - I think it can be a very powerful tool for Electrical. Just seems that companies don't want to invest in making things efficient. Sometimes that takes time and in this world of business expecting and demanding instant gratification that's almost impossible.

thanish81188 don't give up based on my experiences or the lack there of with ACADE. There are great folks here that can help you and will be along shortly.:)

The company I work for just purchased ACADE 2011. In my haste to learn something about the way the program works I purchased a book entitled AutoCAD Electrical 2010 for Electrical Control Desigers by Sam Ticko and Shafali Pandita published by CADCIM Technologies. A 2011 version is not yet available. The book runs close to 900 pages and cost me about $45 (U.S.).

thank u guys for ur responses.. i am not running a company, but trying for a job in design of substation protection.they require Autocad to been knwn as a basic. give me some basic start up tutorial regarding it.

CADTutor has AutoCAD tutorials. Did you check any of them out?

Click on the Tutorial button at the top (right-hand side) of this page. The tutorials are for plain vanilla AutoCAD. They do not cover AutoCAD Electrical.

Also, click on the Links button and go through the listings. You'll find additional tutorials at CAD Digest, AutoDesk and AutoCAD Central just to name a few.

Finally, check out these websites as well for AutoCAD-related tutorials:

www.autocadmark.com

www.we-r-here.com

The company I work for just purchased ACADE 2011. In my haste to learn something about the way the program works I purchased a book entitled AutoCAD Electrical 2010 for Electrical Control Desigers by Sam Ticko and Shafali Pandita published by CADCIM Technologies. A 2011 version is not yet available. The book runs close to 900 pages and cost me about $45 (U.S.).

Sorry, Mark, I've been gone so long I had forgotten that you were digging into ACADE! My bad.:oops:

thank u guys for ur responses.. i am not running a company, but trying for a job in design of substation protection.they require Autocad to been knwn as a basic. give me some basic start up tutorial regarding it.

Are they requiring ACAD or ACADE knowledge as a basic? Perhaps they already have the customization in place which will make it easier if you use the tutorials that ReMark has given you.

• 11 months later...

Ask the supplier to get you in touch with some of the Engineering department of the brand you gonna use.

They may give you their blocks, if you could prove that you will use their product.