Setting up metric scale in dimension style

edwin

I'm used to imperial scale. This time I have something to work on in metric scale and I'm having trouble setting scale factor in my dimension style. I have set 1:20 in the viewport but when you actually measure the drawings plotted in 1:1, it is turning out to be 1"=20m.

Where did I go wrong? Please help.

I'm used to imperial scale. This time I have something to work on in metric scale and I'm having trouble setting scale factor in my dimension style. I have set 1:20 in the viewport but when you actually measure the drawings plotted in 1:1, it is turning out to be 1"=20m.

Where did I go wrong? Please help.

if i know goood: 1 inch=2.54 cm

Are you using Architectural Desktop or Autocad?

If Architectural Desktop - try to change "drawing setup" to cm or mm

If Autocad - I think you should try to open different template file - metric one :)

GoodLuck

As I am in Australia we work metric all the time .

Draw either in mm or metres ie 1:1 use your layout tabs for scaling. Most text is readable at 2.5mm. use a scale factor to multiple or reduce in metres scale 1:100 text 0.25 high.

As we work in Civil design and in metres you will find that your hatch patterns need to be set a lot smaller sometimes even 0.005. use your dimscale factor to set up your dimensions as before 1"=25.4 mm so divide by this amount. We use arrows and text of 2.5mm height.

hope this helps make sure you use ISO styles and metric Template.

The first question to answer is if you are doing "hard" metric or "soft" metric. Hard would be drawing in metric scale; soft would be drawing in imperial and having the dimensions converted to metric. Either way you can use viewport scale to "print" the drawing in metric. Luckily, 1/4" = 1' is close to 1:50 (eg 1:48) and 1/8" is close to 1:100 (eg 1:96).

If you are doing hard, you need to change your units from architectural to decimal. Typical dimensioning is in milimeters, so [30'-0"] reads as [9144].

If you are doing soft, then you need to set up dim styles that convert from imperial to metric. The key factor is 1" = 25.4 mm. Use this scale factor to convert to metric units. If you want to show the imperial measurment too, use the alt units option, with a scale factor of 1/25.4 or 0.0393701

• 4 years later...
As I am in Australia we work metric all the time.

I noticed this and couldnt help to notice that you had the scale and dimensions for metric under control, I am using AutoCAD 2008 (I know its old but it is whats available to me) and I cant seem to get the metric thing under control, and I would like it to print on an A4 piece of paper at a scale of 1:100. Do you think you would be able to attach a 2D .dwg with a few lines and dimensions on it so I could work off that?

Thankyou so much.