Need Extrude or Swept Boss to angle out (left), but also angle up.

Paul Miller

Does anyone know how to get a solid body to angle left off of a solid body, but also angle upward? I'm sure it's easy. But I'm rather new.

I've created a sketch on a top plane. The line is angled to the left off of another extrude. I then created a sketch on the extrude (circle). I used swept boss and created a solid body off of it. Well that's the direction to the left that I need. But I need the solid body to go up, then down again like a hook. So I opened a right plane and sketched the hook that I need. I need the solid body to follow both paths. It has to be a hook (up and down), but also needs to aim some to the left off of the main body. I can have the body follow the hook from the right plane, but then it goes straight. And I can also get the body to follow the straight direction to the left from the top plane, but then it doesn't follow the hook. I hope that I've made sense. My project is off until I hear from someone. Thanks in advance for help.

There is going to be a hook coming off of five of those cylinders like the sketch you see in the middle. I need the width of the two outside hooks to be 5/8". So therefore I need to have them spread left on the left side, and right on the right side. I can't figure that out. So I made a sketch like you see in the picture that is just a line moving outward from a top plane. I was thinking that I can use both paths (one for the hook, and one to move it left). You know, the hook sketch path, and the line sketch path to make a solid body of a hook that is moving outward. So that's where I'm stuck.

scan0001.jpg

you have several options. You can just sweep those sketch paths. Another options for you is to draw the tubes straight, and use the FLEX command from Insert>features>Flex and just flex the tube.

Do you need this hook to move in 3 dimensions or are you able to only move it in 2d? What i mean is that if you took the hook part, could you lay it flat.

Hey guys,

This seems interesting. I would like to give this a try. Can you provide a sketched drawing of what your trying to accomplish? I'm having a hard time trying to figure out what you need done.

I am sort of familiar with the flex tool. I use it to twist wires. If that's the only way, then so be it. Thanks. I'll give it a try and let you know.

I agree with bill. if you can maybe provide a bit more detail on what you are looking to do, we can give you a better idea on a few ways to do it.

I gave it shot. Is this what your trying to do?

It's close, but none of the hooks can be parallel to the shaft.

Welp, here it is. The only bummer is that I can't find an option in the flex tool that doesn't bend. I want the dang wires coming out straight in the directions. But this will have to do for now. Thanks BHAMES for the jogging of my memory regarding the flex tool.scan0002.jpg

scan0001.jpg

Paul,

I think this could be done without the flex tool. You could use a projected curve as your path to sweep the circular profile. I will give it a try tonight. I cant take credit for the flex tool, it was Matts idea.

I agree with bill. I use the flex tool as a last resort in most cases. While it is a very powerful tool its usually not needed and can be very vauge in giving you the results you want. Looking at your pictures I would do just as bill is saying and make a projected curve using two different 2d sketches and then sweeping that path. Im sure bill will come up with a great screen shot to show you the procedure.

OK. I was able to create part using projection curves. Without having any dimensions this is my best guess for creating geometry. What version of SW are you running? If its 2010 I could post the file. If not, I could create a video to show how the part was created. Let me know.

hook2.jpg

hook1.jpg

hook3.jpg

Thank you so much bhamze. I followed it perfectly. That is a lot less complicated. And it seems to use a lot less memory. I really appreciate it. Perhaps one day I will be able to help someone. Take care.