create points onto surface

afish

Good day all,

So I have created a surface from a drawing containing contours, under the surface definition-drawing objects I have added the line work (had to explode the contours in order to handle them resulting in polylines w/single elevations). No I am trying to add points to the surface, since I have exploded the contours the result are many short lines, so I cannot create point along contour/polyline. I chose grid, specify the x&y spacing of the grid and the point description and it wants to prompt me for every single point. Coming Carlson Civil - this sucks!

Can someone steer me in the right direction, do not worry about hurting my feelings if I have missed an important step or something obvious...I have big shoulders.

Thank you in advanced.

Yeah, it's simple, but not necessarily obvious...

Before creating your points, in the Point Creation Tools toolbar, set "Prompt For Description" to "Automatic", as shown in the attached image. Then set the description you want in the "Default Description" field.

Note that you may have to hit the chevron in the upper-right to open up the lower portion of the dialog box. The default position has the dialog box closed. (This is the part that makes it unnecessarily hard to find this feature.)

PointCreationTools.png

I'll trade my Carlson Civil for Autodesk Civil 3D. I'm looking at Carlson right now and I can't even find the option of dropping points onto a surface one at a time. If you believe the hype about Carlson Civil, reality will slap you in the face once it's installed on your machine. I use Carlson for my full time job and Autodesk on the weekends. For me, Autodesk Civil 3D is far more superior than Carlson. Autodesk is geared towards professionals and Carlson is more suitable for the low end user.