How to Re-Path Parts to Assembly

BillB

Hello Again Folks,

Here's my problem. I have parts (.ipt) and assemblies (.iam) in a folder that has a name of 08-437. Well I later noticed that the folder name was incorrect, should be named 08-438. So I copied all the parts and assemblies in the 08-437 folder and pasted them in the 08-438 folder, so far so good. But now when I want to open one of the assemblies in the 08-438 folder it will still path the parts (ipt) from the old folder 08-437. Is there a correct (simple) way to re-path the parts in the 08-438 folder to the assemblies in the 08-438 folder, so in the end I will have will have two completely different designs in two different folders although starting out they will look the same. Or is my only option is to open the assembly (.iam) in the New folder, 08-438, and Replace the parts (.ipt) from the Old folder, 08-437, with the parts (.ipt) in the New folder, 08-438.

I'm doing this on a stand alone workstation, Inventor 2009 Pro if this helps.

Hope this makes sense and that someone out there has some suggestions.

Have a great day.

BillB

.... So I copied all the parts and assemblies in the 08-437 folder and pasted them in the 08-438 folder, so far so good.

Well no, all is not good. You should realize that there is nothing in an iam file but a list of hyperlinks to the location of the ipt files (and a bit more like assembly constraints). As you have found out - DO NOT use Windows Explorer to move stuff around or rename files/folders. You should use Design Assistant to do this.

Now that you have. (there might be other ways to do this but this is easy enough).....

move the folder with all desired files to a known location. Move the folder you don't want into a temporary folder.

If you aren't using Projects, I would.

Create a Project in the folder where you are trying to resolve the path to ipt files.

Make that your active project (you can't have any files open when changing projects).

Open the iam file - you will get a box to resolve links to missing part files.

One-by-one you can resolve each link.

Save the iam.

I haven't done this in some time (learn the mistake once - don't repeat) so hopefully I explained it well enough to solve your problem.

Hello J.D., thank you for the reply.

Yeah, that's what I expected, not good at all. By luck, I only have about 15 or 16 parts that make up the assembly in the 08-438 Folder. I do use Projects, the folder names are such, Jobs_2007, Jobs_2008 and so forth. Both the 08-437 folder and 08-438 folder are in the folder/project Jobs_2008 at the moment. Would I make the Temp folder away from the Jobs_2008 Projects folder or does it matter? I will eventually delete the parts and assemblies in the 08-437 folder, I just wanted to make sure that the new folder, 08-438, worked and was pathed correctly. Again I really appreciate the time and effort that you put forth to help us unfortunate individuals that goober things up on a constant basis.:lol:

BillB