Converting Wireframe Shape to Solid

Mk1_Oz

Sorry probably basic stuff but it has me stumped!!!!!

I have created a 1/4 cone type shape as shown;

Shape To Solid.jpg

Shape to Solid-Forum Help.dwg

I need to convert this to a solid. I have tried using the LOFT command as previously suggested in teh answer to another of my threads. Using this I could make the front arch (on the left) section a surface and the angled section on the right a surface also. I could then NOT use the LOFT command to 'join' the two surfaces (non-planer I think it said).

I have no doubts that this can be done but how do i convert this wireframe 'object' to a solid.

Many thanks!!!

I think you're going to have a problem converting that "shape" into a solid as most of the construction is non-planar.

The Loft command cannot be used to "join" two surfaces.

If the shape is really just one quarter of a cone then I would suggest that you create a cone, as a solid, and then use the slice command to achieve the finally result by slicing away three quarters of the cone.

Cheers ReMark. I think I will have to do as you suggest. If I can work out the radius then I can create a cone in cone and use subtract to hollow then slice off the bits i dont need

I think you would have better control over the results using the cone with-in a cone subtraction method since you'll be working with solids to begin with.

Attach your file here.

BTW in 2011 you can Sculpt surfaces to solids. (think flood fill an enclosed water-tight volume between surfaces)

Here my suggestion using meshes:

First make a modell consisting of EDGESURF's. (To get 4-side-boundes meshes you have to break the arcs.)

Explode the meshes to get FACES and use F2S.lsp by Bill Gillis to get the resulting 3DSOLID.

Higher values of SURFTAB1 and SURFTAB2 will give better meshes but make the file bigger...

Regards

Jochen

PS.: The DWG has about 500kb - in case of interest pleas contact me via

http://www.black-cad.de

sts2-Model.jpg

I would not even begin to suggest using Meshes. Looks like I'm going to have to find the time today to show how it should be done.