Want dimmensions to change on screen, real time, as you move object, 2000 LT or 14

berol

Want to move an object and would like to see the dimmensions change, real time, on the screen as I'm moving the object. I beleive my old instructor said this was possible. Thanks in advance

Make sure you pick the node point of the dimension as well when stretching say a line. If you have typed in a dimension then obviously it will not work.

Type DIMASO at the command line and make sure it's set to ON.

Off Creates no association between the various elements of the dimension. The lines, arcs, arrowheads, and text of a dimension are drawn as separate objects.

On Creates an association between the elements of the dimension. The elements are formed into a single object. If the definition point on the object moves, the dimension value is updated.

Alan, Dimassoc does not apply to Autocad 14 or 2000. Back then it was DIMASO.

Dimassoc first became available in 2002.

True, but it's still informative and might help someone else down the line.

As others have stated you want associative dimensions, but there are other considerations:

Moving a dimension will not change the dimension, stretch should.

If you have overwritten the dimension, it will not change as you stretch. If the dimension contains the value "" it is assocative and not overwitten.

If DRAGMODE is anything other than "Auto" the dimension will not update during a stretch.

I might add a comment/warning. If you are using the technique of viewing the dimension updating during a stretch it may be that you are simply selecting points on the screen for your stretch. This is a highly inaccurate way of producing a drawing. If that is the case I would suggest direct coordinate input as an alternative.