• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ReMark

• JD Mather

• faarax

• Patrick Hughes

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You can draw the bracket in 2D then extrude it. You might want to look into the use of regions.

The more detail you provide us with the better we will be able to answer your questions.

Are you familiar with reorienting the UCS?

Are you familiar with commands such as extrude, sweep, and loft?

Are you familiar with the solids editing commands as well? Ex. - Move faces.

Are you familiar with commands such as union, subtract and intersect?

Posting Picture.jpg

Hi,

my colleagus, i am sending the photo. The final drawing I did do not much the original, so I need an idea please.

Thank you

That looks like an easy beginner part (about 15-20 minutes of work). Attach the dwg of what you have completed so far.

It is not possible for someone to figure out where you might be having trouble without the dwg.

If you are having trouble drawing a Ø30 circle and presspull a distance of 38, you might want to sign up for an instuctor led class.

I stand corrected - 25 minutes from start to completion. The 42 dimension must be 42.5

Bracket.png

Edited by JD Mather

It looks like school is back in session. Well at least this person posted an image we can actually read. That's a plus!

faarax: You've asked the right person. JDM can definitely point you in the right direction. Welcome to the wonderful world of 3D. Good luck. We'll be interested in seeing the final product.

faarax: How far have you gotten on your 3D drawing? Where are you having problems?

My suggestion would be, if you are new to 3D, start with the triangular portion of the bracket and include the smaller triangular opening and the two holes. You can create all that geometry in 2D. Then it's up to you how you want to give the piece "height". There are a couple of different ways to go.

Hi,

I am wondering if anyone could tell me where and how to sign an instructor led class. JD Mather has rendered me to give me a tutoring, but I don`t how it works.

Thank you

There is no "sign up" because CADTutor does not offer instructor led classes. The forum is a place for CAD users to come get help, ask questions, share ideas/knowledge and post images of what they have accomplished.

J.D. Mather's suggestion was that you find a local AutoCAD class (or one that is given online) and sign up for it. It seems this would be of benefit to you.

Understand what I'm saying?

This is what I suggest you attempt to do first. Create the 2D geometry. When finished use the Region command and window everything you just drew. Next, use the Subtract command and subtract the interior triangle and the two holes. Finally, use the Press/Pull command to pull the object to the required height of "8". Done.

3D bracket base.jpg

This is what I suggest you attempt to do first. Create the 2D geometry.......

....Or avoid all the rest of those instructions and simply presspull.

Curse you JD Mather :roll: You beat me by a few minutes.

In my defense this was done on release 14 (old technology). I didn't seem to have a problem with the 42 dim. Can you explain why the suggestion of 42.5?

I think a beginner would be at least twice that time.

3dBracket.jpg

I didn't seem to have a problem with the 42 dim. Can you explain why the suggestion of 42.5?

I'll have to go back and check my geometry to make sure that I didn't make a mistake, but I assumed the design intent was for the angle to be parallel to the tangent line on the outside of the part.

Even if I am right about the design intent and my claim that would make it 42.5, I guess you could argue that dimensions overrule.

Yep, a check in a modern parametric program shows that if those lines are parallel the reference dimension is 42.5

This is what I really like about a history based model - if someone makes a mistake in logic, geometry or trigonometry the modeling history tree can be interrogated to see where they went wrong. Without a history tree mistakes might not be discovered or understood why they happened.

With a history you could go back to the designer and ask what the design intent is.

Years later it migh be possible to figure out even if the original designer is no longer avialable.

Notice that the 42 (or 42.5) dimension is not even needed. A modern program indicates this as a reference dimension - (dimension in brackets). Beginners often have trouble understanding what dimensions are needed to fullly define a geometric shape. Next-generation CAD products tell you when you don't have enough or have too many dimensions.

Parallel.png

Edited by JD Mather

Looks like faarax has given up on his 3D drawing. No questions, no images. Too bad.

My guess is the due date has come and gone - it was probably due to turn in the next day.

Either that, or the OP was looking for a download of the completed file.

Notice that the 42 (or 42.5) dimension is not even needed. A modern program indicates this as a reference dimension - (dimension in brackets). Beginners often have trouble understanding what dimensions are needed to fullly define a geometric shape. Next-generation CAD products tell you when you don't have enough or have too many dimensions.

Thanks for that JD. It just may be that it was rounded down as there aren't any decimal dimensions.