Description Keys

wrmurphy81

So I am new to C3D and I am trying to figure out to use it. One of the things I would like to do is use the Description Keys for various field codes. I have some blocks that I would like to use for certain codes, but I cant figure out how to get C3D to look in the correct folder. I know I need to use the "Use AutoCAD BLOCK symbol for marker", but I cant change the file location or go look in a specific folder. Thanks in advance!

In Civil 3D, the blocks must already be in your drawing. They can't reside in a separate folder the way they did in Land Desktop.

So go ahead and INSERT all your blocks into your template, and then you'll be able to select them in your Point Styles. And yes, I know this is all wrong, but it's the direction Autodesk chose with Civil 3D. They decided it would be a "good idea" to put everything in the DWG file, which simplifies some things, but creates a number of other issues.

Great! So do I just insert it into the template and erase it? Or do I need to keep it in the template out in space somewhere?

You only need the block definition in your drawing. Once you select the block in your Point Style, it will be considered "in use" and you will not be able to purge it from your drawing.

Similar problem with layer names to the blocks once you fill in your description keys and lables etc you will find no matter how often you purge a layer will not be removed and it can not be deleted because its referenced to be ready for use within Civ3d wether it is or not. Our library was created by some one who created a new layer for everything at the start its a big task to go and make various options use 1 layer instead so we just live with it. Our template has 547 layers purge it blank goes to 77 it now has only title block etc about 4 layers. Whats the other 73 you may well ask.