Zoomed in as far as possible...i dont think so mr. AutoCAD

I've been trying to draw a detailed house layout on a plot of a housing development. For the housing development not much detail was involved so i didnt have to zoom in too far. But now, having started the floor plan for 1 example I have to zoom in further.

I usually zoom using the scroll wheel on the mouse, but sometimes when you try zoom in a long way it says "Cann't zoom in any further" (or words to that effect).

But i needed to see closer, and I could have sworn I'd zoomed in closer than that before in this drawing, so i went to the ribbon and selected the window zoom command using the button there...hey presto, it lets me zoom in a lot further.

Zoom back out with the scroll wheel fine!

Try zoom back in and now it seems that it can get past that original zooming in block!?

Just wondered why it can't make it's mind up?

AutoCAD 2009 LT by the way! :)

Run regenall occasionally. Sometimes AutoCAD has to reload the drawing screen image into memory. You are just using all it can remember until a regenall is issued.

The larger your drawing (housing developments are in the BIG catagory), the more often it will require regen.

Thanks for that Dana!

Could this explain why my fellow colleages copy of the file is acting funny on AutoCAD2007? He's trying to explode a few things and they go missing, or he'll rotate it and it will mirror it as well? :?

Also is this the same command as "REGEN"?

There are limits to how far the scroll wheel will zoom in and out from the current window, its not usually a problem and a regen or Zoom command will reset the limits.

exploding thing and goinf missing may be an an issues where the object(s) is too far away from 0,0,0?..i seem to remember this as being a problem but can't attest to it ;)

Thanks for that Dana!

Could this explain why my fellow colleages copy of the file is acting funny on AutoCAD2007? He's trying to explode a few things and they go missing, or he'll rotate it and it will mirror it as well? :?

I doubt it, but what have you got to lose. I would have to just guess. Hazardman seems to have heard of it. Go for it.

Regen just regenerates the current "viewport". Regenall regenerates the entire drawing, modelspace, paperspace, and all viewports.

Why a regen is needed from time to time is a little complicated to explain, so I won't try, in detail. Regenerating does not change your drawing in any way. We are talking only about the screen image displayed. AutoCAD conserves memory by simplifying the work it does to display the screen image when you change your viewpoint. It can and does forget that parts of the drawing are even there if you do a lot of zooming and panning on a large drawing.

A regen(all) re-indexes the drawing database file where all your object points and parts are stored. Then it starts from the top of the database and redraws your drawing screen image entirely.

Sometimes you will notice a degradation of the line quality of curves, circles, and arcs. There is no such thing as a true curve on a computer screen. AutoCAD, and all other imaging software uses very very short straight lines to make a curve look curved. After you have manipulated the screen a lot, or saving and closing without doing a regenall, AutoCAD gets tired of drawing all those little 0.01mm lines and starts using much longer lines to make all the curves. Regen will clean all that up again.

An AutoCAD drawing is a lot like Schrödinger's cat. It doesn't exist as a drawing unless you print it out, or look at it on the screen. It's just another database file.