fence linetype

wrmurphy81

Does anyone know how to import a new linetype into my template? I want the linetype that has an 'X' in it. kind of like this: ------x-----x-----x----- Can I download that linetype online somwhere?

Try this just change the slash "/" to what ever you want

*FENCE,Fence ----------/----------/----------/----------

A,20,-1.5,["/",STANDARD,S=1.8,R=0.0,X=-.9,Y=-.9],-1

Search forum there are numerous refrefences to adding line types not going to repeat here

Try this one:

*FENCE,---X---X---X---

A,.465492,-.011873,["X",ROMANS,y=-.06,s=.12],-.127516,.464813

I am still back on 2008, but you should be able to add this line to the "acad.lin" file and then select this linetype to load into your dwt file.

Keep in mind that linetypes reference TEXT STYLES, and not fonts. So you may have to create a Text Style, too.

Dent - How did you derive the numbers you're using for line lengths? Did they come from converting metric standards or something?

Ours looks like this (EJTEXT is a text style in our drawing template that uses the Arial TTF):

*FENCELINE,Fenceline ----X----X----X----X----X----

A,.5,-.07,["X",EJTEXT,S=.1,R=0.0,X=-0.0335,Y=-.05],-.07

Does anyone know how to import a new linetype into my template?

To specifically answer that question, you can

* Use the linetype command to create a new one

* Import from another drawing using DesignCenter

* Copy/paste an entity with the desired linetype from another drawing

* Drag/drop an entity with the desired linetype from another drawing

* Load from a LIN file.

* Insert a block that contains the desired linetype

Keep in mind that linetypes reference TEXT STYLES, and not fonts. So you may have to create a Text Style, too.

Dent - How did you derive the numbers you're using for line lengths? Did they come from converting metric standards or something?

Ours looks like this (EJTEXT is a text style in our drawing template that uses the Arial TTF):

*FENCELINE,Fenceline ----X----X----X----X----X----

A,.5,-.07,["X",EJTEXT,S=.1,R=0.0,X=-0.0335,Y=-.05],-.07

Nope, those distances were from the old "create a lintype" in Express tools. And as far as not using a font, well it seems to be working on a daily basis on all of our pooters that range from LDD2007 to 2010 products?

And as far as not using a font, well it seems to be working on a daily basis on all of our pooters that range from LDD2007 to 2010 products?

My guess is you have a Text Style called "ROMANS" in your template. If not, then there's something else impacting this that I'm unaware of... I cannot load the linetype you posted until I create a text style called ROMANS in my drawing... Until I do that, it complains about a bad linetype definition.

The Roman Simplex text style has been in the text style list since AutoCad 386. It's in every copy of all of the software on all of our computers. Standard windows type font Why you do not have it is beyond me.

The Roman Simplex text style has been in the text style list since AutoCad 386. It's in every copy of all of the software on all of our computers. Standard windows type font Why you do not have it is beyond me.

You are confusing fonts and styles.

As sync said earlier, complex linetypes reference styles, not fonts.

The presence or absence of a font has no bearing on whether or not the linetype will work.

I could create a style named "ROMANS" and have it use "Wingdings" for the font and that linetype will look very different.

That is the downside to text based complex linetypes - you have no way of controlling the font assigned to the style used in the linetype (or other properties assigned to that style)

On the other hand, shape based complex linetypes rely on the presence of the correct shape file.

Edited by rkmcswain
addition

And I still sat thay ROMANS is a windows text style and if you will load it in the dwt file this linetype will indeed work. That same linetype definition is being used every day in my office on computers running everything from AutoCad LT2004 to Civil3D 2010. I cannot see why y'all are saying this will not work when I am using it every day? Heck, it even works in Carlson Survey 2010.

So in other words, you DO have a ROMANS Text Style in your template...?

We actually use TTFs for everything. We don't use a ROMANS Text Style, and don't have one in our drawing template. We have the ROMANS.SHX shape font, and I can create a ROMANS Text Style, but I can't use your linetype definition until I do.

And I still sat thay ROMANS is a windows text style and if you will load it in the dwt file this linetype will indeed work. That same linetype definition is being used every day in my office on computers running everything from AutoCad LT2004 to Civil3D 2010. I cannot see why y'all are saying this will not work when I am using it every day? Heck, it even works in Carlson Survey 2010.

First off, there is no such thing as a "Windows text style". The term "Textstyle" in the context of AutoCAD linetypes is unique to AutoCAD. You are still confusing AutoCAD styles and Fonts.

Stock OOTB AutoCAD includes "fonts" named "romans.shx" and "romans__.ttf". The former is an AutoCAD shape based "font". The latter is a truetype font only used by the MTEXT editor to mimic the shx font. Neither have anything to do with whether or not your linetype will load.

So, take a look at your linetype defintion again.

*FENCE,---X---X---X---

A,.465492,-.011873,["X",ROMANS,y=-.06,s=.12],-.127516,.464813

The "X" and the name "Romans" here tells AutoCAD to load the character 58 (Hex) from the "style" defined in the drawing named "ROMANS"

Open a new empty drawing using NO template, then try to load the linetype defined above. It won't work because there are only 2 styles in a new, no-template drawing named "Annotative" and "Standard" (using 2010).

Now create a textstyle named ROMANS (it does not matter what font you assign to the textstyle), and the same linetype will load.

Look up "Text in Custom Linetypes" in the AutoCAD Customization Guide for more info.

• 10 years later...
*FENCE, Fence -per FDOT's AUTOCAD Users Supplement---- X ---- X ---- X ---- X ---- X ---- 
;A,.5,-.025,[TRACK1,ltypeshp,a=135,s=.08],0,[TRACK1,ltypeshp,a=45,s=.08],-.025,.5
A,.5,-.025,[TRACK1,ltypeshp,r=135,s=.08],0,[TRACK1,ltypeshp,r=45,s=.08],-.025,.5
*FENCE2, Fence (.5x)---- X ---- X ---- X ---- X ---- X ---- 
A,.25,-.0125,[TRACK1,ltypeshp,r=135,s=.04],0,[TRACK1,ltypeshp,r=45,s=.04],-.0125,.25
*FENCE5, Fence (.2x)---- X ---- X ---- X ---- X ---- X ---- 
A,.1,-.005,[TRACK1,ltypeshp,r=135,s=.016],0,[TRACK1,ltypeshp,r=45,s=.016],-.005,.1
*FENCELINE1,Fenceline circle ----0-----0----0-----0----0-----0--
A,.25,-.1,[CIRC1,ltypeshp.shx,x=-.1,s=.1],-.1,1
*FENCELINE2,Fenceline square ----[]-----[]----[]-----[]----[]---
A,.25,-.1,[BOX,ltypeshp.shx,x=-.1,s=.1],-.1,1

These linetype definitions use LTYPESHP.SHX which installs with AutoCAD and should work for anyone using AutoCAD. No references to Text Styles needed.