+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Forum Newbie
    Using
    Mechanical 2010

Default How to combine DWG files?

Registered forum members do not see this ad.

I have drawing sheets split up into separate files, is there a way to combine these files into one drawing? I was hoping I could do a batch plot but I can only print to PDF or DWF, I need to keep the files as DWG. I am using AutoCAD 2010.

Thanks!

Computer Details
    rkent's Computer Details
    Operating System:
    WIN7 PRO 64bit
    Computer:
    Dell Precision T7500
    CPU:
    Xeon Dual Core E5503 2.0Ghz
    RAM:
    6GB DDR3 ECC SDRAM, 1333MHz, 6x1GB
    Graphics:
    nVidia Quadro 3800
    Primary Storage:
    Samsung 480Gb SSD
    Monitor:
    Dell 24" FS (2x)
    Discipline
    Mechanical
    rkent's Discipline Details
    Occupation
    Facilities Design - Semi-conductor manufacturing
    Discipline
    Mechanical
    Details
    Designer: Process Piping, P&ID's, Machine Part Design, Planning / General Arrangement. Facilities Management. Drafting: Electrical, Controls, Architectural.
    Using
    Mechanical 2014

I can't tell if you have two questions or one is related to the other.

To combine files you can use xref or insert to bring in the model space information. Copy and paste the PS information.

To batch plot use the Publish command, pick a pagesetup name and away you go.
    Sometimes there's a man... I won't say a hero, 'cause, what's a hero? But sometimes, there's a man. And I'm talkin' about the Dude here. Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's the Dude, in Los Angeles. - The Stranger, The Big Lebowski

Forum Newbie
    Using
    Mechanical 2010

Sorry about the confusion, it's just one question. To combine the drawings I tried to batch plot but the only output options (Publish to) I have are DWFx, DWF and PDF. I was hoping to combine the drawing this way instead of using x-refs, but there is no DWG output option. I have a lot of drawings to combine so I was hoping there would be a faster way than to copy and paste.
    Do you know if there is a program or add-on that will combine drawings?

Computer Details
    nukecad's Computer Details
    Operating System:
    XP64
    Computer:
    Various machines.
    Using
    AutoCAD 2000i

Depends on just what you mean by 'combine' and why you are wanting to do this?

Are you trying to put all modelspaces into one modelspace on one drawing?
    If so are you then wanting to view it through one layout tab, or multiple layout tabs in the same drawing?
    Are you trying to get a set of drawings (model and layout) into one file for storage or transmittal?
    Are you trying to 'combine' the drawings for some other reason?
    *** Out of Beer Error ->-> Recovering Memory***

Computer Details
    ReMark's Computer Details
    Operating System:
    Windows 7 Pro 64-bit
    Computer:
    Thinkmate
    Motherboard:
    Intel DX58SO2 LGA1366 X58
    CPU:
    Intel i7-960 Quad-core 3.20GHz 8MB cache
    RAM:
    12GB (3x4GB) PC3-106000 DDR3
    Graphics:
    nVidia Quadro 4000, 2GB GDDR5
    Primary Storage:
    150GB Velocipraptor 10,000 rpm
    Secondary Storage:
    none
    Monitor:
    Dell P24LLH - 24" wide screen LCD
    Discipline
    See details...
    ReMark's Discipline Details
    Occupation
    CAD Draftsman/Designer...chemical manufacturing.
    Discipline
    See details below.
    Details
    I work for a specialty chemical manufacturer. I do a little bit of everything from P&IDs to civil to architectural and structural.
    Using
    AutoCAD 2015

If all these drawing that you want to 'combine' are going to treated as a package why not use Sheet Sets?
    "I have only come here seeking knowledge. Things they wouldn't teach me of in college." The Police

Eat brains...gain more knowledge!

I'm now a full member of the Society for the Promotion of Mediocrity in CAD. Standards? We don't need no stinkin' standards! Take whatever advice I offer and do the opposite.

Forum Newbie
    Using
    Mechanical 2010

I am trying to get a set of drawings into one drawing. For some reason the drawing was created as separate files for each sheet instead of one drawing package. I would like to combine them into one drawing package so each sheet of the drawing is on a tab. So, all of the model spaces will have to be put onto one and I'll need multiple layout tabs for each drawing sheet. I need to do this for transmittal so one file is the entire drawing.

I am not sure what Sheet Sets is, can you explain? Sorry, I'm fairly new to CAD.

Computer Details
    ReMark's Computer Details
    Operating System:
    Windows 7 Pro 64-bit
    Computer:
    Thinkmate
    Motherboard:
    Intel DX58SO2 LGA1366 X58
    CPU:
    Intel i7-960 Quad-core 3.20GHz 8MB cache
    RAM:
    12GB (3x4GB) PC3-106000 DDR3
    Graphics:
    nVidia Quadro 4000, 2GB GDDR5
    Primary Storage:
    150GB Velocipraptor 10,000 rpm
    Secondary Storage:
    none
    Monitor:
    Dell P24LLH - 24" wide screen LCD
    Discipline
    See details...
    ReMark's Discipline Details
    Occupation
    CAD Draftsman/Designer...chemical manufacturing.
    Discipline
    See details below.
    Details
    I work for a specialty chemical manufacturer. I do a little bit of everything from P&IDs to civil to architectural and structural.
    Using
    AutoCAD 2015

You're mixing up the terminology so much it's getting confusing.

It now sounds more like you want to insert (don't use the word combine) multiple drawings into one existing drawing file such that when you go into your layouts you'll have a tab for each drawing. That is not the same thing as Sheet Sets.
    "I have only come here seeking knowledge. Things they wouldn't teach me of in college." The Police

Eat brains...gain more knowledge!

I'm now a full member of the Society for the Promotion of Mediocrity in CAD. Standards? We don't need no stinkin' standards! Take whatever advice I offer and do the opposite.

Forum Newbie
    Using
    Mechanical 2010

I'm sorry I'm making this so confusing. You are on the right track ReMark..... I am working with just one drawing though with mulitple sheets.
    I have a 4 sheet drawing, the drawing was split up so each sheet is its own DWG file. I would like to insert sheets 2-4 into the file of sheet 1 to make a whole drawing. When I go into my layouts I'd like to have a tab for each sheet.
    I know I can copy and paste into model space then make a new layout tab for each sheet but I was wondering if there was an easier way or if there is an add-on or program that does that. I have drawings with 20+ sheets and copying, pasting and scaling will take awhile.
    I was hoping that Publish could do that since it can combine different layouts into one file but it only publishes to PDF and DWF, I need a DWG.
    Thanks for the help!

Using
    AutoCAD LT 2010

Hi ancoursey,

It sounds like the easiest option for you might be to use the AutoCAD Design Center feature. Try the following:

-Start by opening the drawing that you want to use as your "base" drawing (into which you will insert the others).
    -Type "dc" to start the command, this window shown below should pop up.
    -From here you can navigate to each of the drawings you want to incorporate using the "Folders" tab at the top left.
    -When you click on one of the drawings in the navigation window a bunch of icons will appear: "blocks", "layers", "layouts", etc... Double click on the layout icon.
    -You will see an icon for each of the layout tabs in the drawing listed by name. Double clicking on an icon will insert this layout and any paperspace data that it contains into the "base drawing".
    -Repeat this for each of the drawings, until all of the layout tabs are contained in the one drawing file. It sounds kind of tedious but it's actually pretty quick.

As for the model space content, I believe you will either need to copy/paste or use x-ref's, as rkent suggested, and then reposition the viewports for each model tab. Maybe someone has a better way, but this is most likely how I'd approach the issue.

Hope this helps!
    -mw
    Attached Images

Computer Details
    Dana W's Computer Details
    Operating System:
    Windows 8 64 bit
    Computer:
    Dell XPS ONE 2710
    Motherboard:
    Dunno
    CPU:
    Intel I-5 3330S @ 2.7 Ghz
    RAM:
    6 Gb
    Graphics:
    On board barely adequate
    Primary Storage:
    1 Terrabyte
    Secondary Storage:
    1 Terrabyte external
    Monitor:
    All in one 27" touch & pen
    Discipline
    Construction
    Dana W's Discipline Details
    Occupation
    Independent Architectural Draftsman
    Discipline
    Construction
    Details
    Residential Homes, Construction and Renovation
    Using
    AutoCAD LT 2015

Registered forum members do not see this ad.

Quote Originally Posted by ancoursey View Post
    I am trying to get a set of drawings into one drawing. For some reason the drawing was created as separate files for each sheet instead of one drawing package. I would like to combine them into one drawing package so each sheet of the drawing is on a tab. So, all of the model spaces will have to be put onto one and I'll need multiple layout tabs for each drawing sheet. I need to do this for transmittal so one file is the entire drawing.

I am not sure what Sheet Sets is, can you explain? Sorry, I'm fairly new to CAD.
    More than one person working on the same job, possibly. I inherited one of these projects once myself.

I used a Sheet Set. I only have 2009 LT at the moment and it does not have sheet Sets. I don't have the reference materials handy to give a precise explanation. It is not hard to build a sheet set. The hardest part is hitting the F1 key and typing Sheet Set, then trying to interpret the AutoDesk-ese to figure it out.

Basicly, you turn on the sheet set manager, tell it which drawing(s) you want to put in a set, and it will build the set for you. You may have to go in and renumber or re-arrange the sheet list. That can get testy but not hard either. Now, when you want the set of drawings (plots) plotted, just open the sheet set manager, select the proper set, click publish, and it spools the entire set of layouts to the plotter as one print job, in the background. You can even plot the set just by clicking on the Sheet Set entity in your Windows file structure.

Sheet sets DO NOT put anything together except cross references to each included layout definition. You will still have 4 dwg files.
    Yogi Berra: "In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is."