How to combine DWG files?

ancoursey

I have drawing sheets split up into separate files, is there a way to combine these files into one drawing? I was hoping I could do a batch plot but I can only print to PDF or DWF, I need to keep the files as DWG. I am using AutoCAD 2010.

Thanks!

I can't tell if you have two questions or one is related to the other.

To combine files you can use xref or insert to bring in the model space information. Copy and paste the PS information.

To batch plot use the Publish command, pick a pagesetup name and away you go.

Sorry about the confusion, it's just one question. To combine the drawings I tried to batch plot but the only output options (Publish to) I have are DWFx, DWF and PDF. I was hoping to combine the drawing this way instead of using x-refs, but there is no DWG output option. I have a lot of drawings to combine so I was hoping there would be a faster way than to copy and paste.

Do you know if there is a program or add-on that will combine drawings?

Depends on just what you mean by 'combine' and why you are wanting to do this?

Are you trying to put all modelspaces into one modelspace on one drawing?

If so are you then wanting to view it through one layout tab, or multiple layout tabs in the same drawing?

Are you trying to get a set of drawings (model and layout) into one file for storage or transmittal?

Are you trying to 'combine' the drawings for some other reason?

I am trying to get a set of drawings into one drawing. For some reason the drawing was created as separate files for each sheet instead of one drawing package. I would like to combine them into one drawing package so each sheet of the drawing is on a tab. So, all of the model spaces will have to be put onto one and I'll need multiple layout tabs for each drawing sheet. I need to do this for transmittal so one file is the entire drawing.

I am not sure what Sheet Sets is, can you explain? Sorry, I'm fairly new to CAD.

You're mixing up the terminology so much it's getting confusing.

It now sounds more like you want to insert (don't use the word combine) multiple drawings into one existing drawing file such that when you go into your layouts you'll have a tab for each drawing. That is not the same thing as Sheet Sets.

I'm sorry I'm making this so confusing. You are on the right track ReMark..... I am working with just one drawing though with mulitple sheets.

I have a 4 sheet drawing, the drawing was split up so each sheet is its own DWG file. I would like to insert sheets 2-4 into the file of sheet 1 to make a whole drawing. When I go into my layouts I'd like to have a tab for each sheet.

I know I can copy and paste into model space then make a new layout tab for each sheet but I was wondering if there was an easier way or if there is an add-on or program that does that. I have drawings with 20+ sheets and copying, pasting and scaling will take awhile.

I was hoping that Publish could do that since it can combine different layouts into one file but it only publishes to PDF and DWF, I need a DWG.

Thanks for the help!

Hi ancoursey,

It sounds like the easiest option for you might be to use the AutoCAD Design Center feature. Try the following:

-Start by opening the drawing that you want to use as your "base" drawing (into which you will insert the others).

-Type "dc" to start the command, this window shown below should pop up.

-From here you can navigate to each of the drawings you want to incorporate using the "Folders" tab at the top left.

-When you click on one of the drawings in the navigation window a bunch of icons will appear: "blocks", "layers", "layouts", etc... Double click on the layout icon.

-You will see an icon for each of the layout tabs in the drawing listed by name. Double clicking on an icon will insert this layout and any paperspace data that it contains into the "base drawing".

-Repeat this for each of the drawings, until all of the layout tabs are contained in the one drawing file. It sounds kind of tedious but it's actually pretty quick.

As for the model space content, I believe you will either need to copy/paste or use x-ref's, as rkent suggested, and then reposition the viewports for each model tab. Maybe someone has a better way, but this is most likely how I'd approach the issue.

Hope this helps!

-mw :)

Design Center Window.jpg

I am trying to get a set of drawings into one drawing. For some reason the drawing was created as separate files for each sheet instead of one drawing package. I would like to combine them into one drawing package so each sheet of the drawing is on a tab. So, all of the model spaces will have to be put onto one and I'll need multiple layout tabs for each drawing sheet. I need to do this for transmittal so one file is the entire drawing.

I am not sure what Sheet Sets is, can you explain? Sorry, I'm fairly new to CAD.

More than one person working on the same job, possibly. I inherited one of these projects once myself.

I used a Sheet Set. I only have 2009 LT at the moment and it does not have sheet Sets. I don't have the reference materials handy to give a precise explanation. It is not hard to build a sheet set. The hardest part is hitting the F1 key and typing Sheet Set, then trying to interpret the AutoDesk-ese to figure it out.

Basicly, you turn on the sheet set manager, tell it which drawing(s) you want to put in a set, and it will build the set for you. You may have to go in and renumber or re-arrange the sheet list. That can get testy but not hard either. Now, when you want the set of drawings (plots) plotted, just open the sheet set manager, select the proper set, click publish, and it spools the entire set of layouts to the plotter as one print job, in the background. You can even plot the set just by clicking on the Sheet Set entity in your Windows file structure.

Sheet sets DO NOT put anything together except cross references to each included layout definition. You will still have 4 dwg files.

There is no "magic" button or software that will do the work for you. If you want to insert drawings 2 thru 4 into drawing 1 you'll have to do it manually. The method you use is up to you.

Bassmaster,

When I type in 'dc' it asks me to 'specify center point of text'. Is Design Center on AutoCAD Mechanical 2010? If so, is there another way to get to it?

Thanks

Hi ancoursey,

Sorry for the late reply, I was out of town for a few days. Looks like you got a couple of responses already though, how are you making out with this? Is the design centre feature helping at all?

-mw