Help with complicated solid/surface, not sure if AutoCAD can render...?

1SLwLS1

Background: At the current time I only have AutoCAD at work which is where I ran into a problem. At home, I got bupkis, downloading viewer and student inventor 2011 as I type. I am trying to model a trim piece from my car. Somewhat complicated part, as nothing is standard no 16" fractions, just a bunch of weird measurements with the calipers. Using standard AutoCAD 2010.

Problem: I am trying to draw a complicated solid. Until I can either upload a .pdf, .dwg, or :unsure: student .dwg, I will try my best to describe it. Start off with a rectangle measuring 0.79" x 1.39" and then fillet the corners with a radius of 0.14" on all corners. I then offset the long sides by 0.047" and offset the short sides by 0.130". For the corners of this new, larger rectangle, I draw circles with a radius of 0.20". For location, I put the quadrants at the end points of the short side offsets. Since, the offsets between the big and large rectangle are not the same, I have to extend the long side offsets to meet the quadrants of the circles. So now I trim them up, make them regions, with the large circle completely encasing the smaller one, (2) different regions. I extrude them up the Z axis by 0.270"

Here comes the challenge, I am trying to find a way to taper from the bottom edge (on the x-y plane) on the larger rectangle, to the top edge on the inner rectangle. AutoCAD will taper the flat surfaces if I select them individually, but looses it's marbles when I tell it to taper the curved face. I assume this is because the radii of the circles are different, as well as the intersection points of the different planes.

Still with me? If not, I am working on posting a clarification drawing ASAP! I think this shape may be too complicated for AutoCAD to render, not sure though...

Huh. I thought the question was about rendering (AutoCAD command Render - look it up F1).

Post the file at the student community http://www.autodesk.com/edcommunity

Have you done the tutorials in my signature?

My question is more about 3D modelling and I guess I misused the term "render". I have been doing 3D modelling for 8 years on/off, started back in high school, and I have been using AutoCAD professionally for 4 years now at work. I go to school part time and can use the free version on my home laptop for personal use, such as this. I am no stranger to AutoCAD, but I have never seen a surface/object as complicated as I need, and am unsure if it can even be done. Co-worker of mine that has been doing drafting for years could not figure out how to do it. I guess I will just have to post the file so the forum can understand what I am talking about.

I think loft is your best bet here. Offset your inside rectangle +Z .27, loft using "cross sections" option then "press-pull" the top section right down through to remove the inside.

You'll have to close your loft sections or you will get surfaces and not a solid.

taper_loft.jpg

Good Luck

Haha, absolutely, I haven't even heard of "loft" before. I am playing with it now, trying to get a grasp around it functions and features. I am going to throw this in my buddy's face and see what he says, :lol:

Great, so I finally got loft to work properly, realized I could select the same line twice to close the object and then convert it to a solid. Once I converted it to a solid, I subtracted it from the panel to get the results I wanted.

I would attach the finished product, but it is over the forum limits. If I host the finished product at a website, I will link it here on Monday.

Thanks for your help

Here is the finished product, kinda of...

[]

I am now trying to figure out how to add a texture of molded ABS plastic to the outer surface only in various places. I will upload a picture of the actual part as well.

Edited by fuccaro