A text style displaying differently

I have recently noticed that I have a two bits of text in a drawing which have the same style (apparently) but display differently; one is bold, the other lighter and wider.

On 'LISTing' the following appears:

MTEXT Layer: "Textnotes"

Space: Model space

Handle = 37bbd

Style = "notes20hand"

Annotative: No

Width: 800

Normal: X= 0 Y= 0 Z= 1

Rotation: 0

Text height: 40

Line spacing: Multiple (1.000000x = 67)

Attachment: TopLeft

Flow direction: ByStyle

Contents: heavy and narrow

Command:

Command: list

1 found

MTEXT Layer: "Textnotes"

Space: Model space

Handle = 37bbe

Style = "notes20hand"

Annotative: No

Width: 800

Normal: X= 0 Y= 0 Z= 1

Rotation: 0

Text height: 40

Line spacing: Multiple (1.000000x = 67)

Attachment: TopLeft

Flow direction: ByStyle

Contents: {\W1;light and wide}

I had not realised in 20 years of using ACAD the possibility of putting curly brackets around the text and with starting \W1:.

And - where did it come from?

While investigating I see that the contents are shown, as in red above, in the Properties box but I had never noticed the brackets etc.

I have always thought formatting was controlled by the style and of course dialogue over-rides.:?:?

And - 'matching properties' does does not change the other - either way...?

I've posted enough about how I hate embedded formatting in MTEXT so I won't go on again but it has caught you out here. If you highlight some text in the MTEXT editor and apply a format override, such as text height or a font change you get exactly what you are seeing. An override really only visible in properties and one that is a pain to get rid of. There are a number of LISP routines out there to strip the formatting or you can explode the text back to DTEXT.

Well --- you live and learn; thanks Dave.

Certainly, I have never knowingly embedded formatting in MTEXT...

DTEXT:twisted::twisted::twisted::twisted::twisted::twisted::twisted:

I tried to change the Width setting in dialogue from the '1' shown and text did chang but '1' didn't ???

THEN changed my UNITS setting from 0 to 0.00 and decimal appeared in WIDTH setting, so, learned a bit more :D:D:D:D

rkmcswain, thanks for the link.

I guess I have never needed the info; everything always worked OK the dialogue box method...

rkmcswain, thanks for the link.

I guess I have never needed the info; everything always worked OK the dialogue box method...

I've always referred to the codes over the years when building MTEXT strings using lisp or VBA...

I've always referred to the codes over the years when building MTEXT strings using lisp or VBA...

I have never used or needed those methods for bog standard notes... but still can't see when or why my 'normal' notes style got changed - in some cases...