Sidewalk Grading Strategy along existing Road.

Rexford

I have been given a project in which we are going to design sidewalk along an existing road for approx. 6300 feet. The right of way is 60 ft., and the existing pavement is 24'. There are intersecting sidestreets along the length of the road approx. every 300 feet. The road currently has a swale in the 18 ft. between the eop and the ROW. In the proposed design, we will add a 6 ft. sidewalk 6" inside the exist. row, then have a 1 ft 10:1 slope, then regrade whatever ditch we can in the remaining 10.5 feet. We will need cross sections every 50 feet and calculate earthworks, so I really want to find a way to use the software to create the grading. I have limited experience with Civil 3d, and I really can't even come up with a strategy on how to attack this assignment. I don't know if I should try to use corridors or if there is another way to create the information needed to show the design correctly in the sections. I would appreciate any ideas on a strategy? Thank you!

The simplest is using the built in vertical tools, native to Civil 3D, which may be some front end work in setting up the corridors your need, etc. The benefit is that you now have a dynamic proposed surface model to use for your surface comparisons (against existing TIN).

Otherwise, you'll have to do things 'old school' by calculating your cut and fill against the cross sections manually... but this is self defeating in a way, as in order to generate the cross sections (in Civil 3D) you need the proposed surface anyway o:).

Hope this helps!

I felt like corridors were going to be the way to accomplish the assignment, and luckily I do have the existing ground surface directly from the surveyor. My next problem is figuring out how to make a new corridor that will target my existing edge of pavement. I am trying to build a corridor that will do this but so far haven't had any success. Thank you for the information as it gave me hope that I am at least on the right track.