AutoCAD P&ID - Predefined layers in default template

ReMark

Like AutoCAD Electrical I am assuming that AutoCAD P&ID comes with some predefined layers in their default template. What are some of the layer names? I expect there is one for valves, tanks, instrumentation but I'd be curious as to some of the others. Is there a layer reserved for process piping as opposed to utilities such as cooling water, steam and nitrogen purge? What about computer control? I'd also like to know on what layer an automated valve gets inserted.

ReMark,

It comes with standard layers but it lets you create your own. It will allow you to assign certain layers to certain blocks it is all customizable.

It has been a year since I used it so right off the top of my head I can't tell you all the layer names.

HTH,

Greg

• 2 weeks later...

That's it? One reply? No one else is using AutoCAD P&ID for process piping and instrumentation diagrams? What are you using then?

Thanks Gsilva for your reply. Any chance I could get a list of the standard layers that are included with the default template?

Another couple of questions if you do not mind.

Does P&ID have a symbol for an actuated valve?

Does P&ID have a symbol for a reactor and/or a jacketed reactor? I'm not talking about a nuclear reactor either.

Remark,

AutoCAD P&ID lets you create your standard layers in the project.

Here are a few that come with the default.

Equipment

Existing Process

Instrument

Instrument Lines

Mechanical Process

Text

You need to get a demo CD and see how it's projects are done.

P&ID's in this area are done one of 4 ways in order of usage.

1. Cadworx P&ID

2. In house program

3. OddFlo (my application for P&ID's)

4. AutoCAD P&ID

AutoCAD P&ID did the best thing and supplied symbols based on ISA or PIP Standards.

The bad thing is most symbols we used thinking they were of some standard will not be in there.

I use the PIP standards it uses ISA and has a lot more Piping symbology.

In AutoCAD P&ID it's real easy to select an existing block and make it intelligent.

Equipment is another symbol we use are own and really no standard for them.

I hope this helps.

Thanks for the reply once again.

I would have thought AutoDesk would have put as much thought into the program as went into AutoCAD electrical but it sounds as though they haven't. I would have fully expected a more robust layering system (there's seems to be almost generic) and a greater range of symbols.

Perhaps they put all their efforts into the database portion of the program.

They actually did a good job. I created my own P&Id package and know exactly why they did what they did.

Every company out there uses their own symbology and thinks it is standard when it's not industry standard.

Also equipment is very hard to please everyone because of level of detail and size.

So the best thing they could do was license the use of the industry standards that are out there.

But very little is hard coded in AutoCAD P&ID and you can modify it to your company standards.

And when you start a new project you select a old job and will will copy the symbology.

They have had some problems with the database but those have been corrected as far as I know.

What I liked about it was you could not alter an AutoCAD P&ID in plain AutoCAD.

We used to lose so much data because someone would use plain AutoCAD to fix a Cadworx drawing.

But you can create a export a plain AutoCAD drawing within AutoCAD P&ID.

I would get a demo copy of each Cadworx P&ID and AutoCAD P&ID and look at the forums for each.

Also Youtube is an excellent resource to see what a lot of the softwares can do.

OK. We're a small, specialty chemical manufacturing company producing P&IDs solely for our own purposes. Does P&ID work like Electrical where every drawing has to be a part of a separate project?