Setting z-scale to 0,00001 makes it go to 0 and screws things up

CADkitt

If you set z-scale to 0 you get a warning and you can't set it, but if you set it to 0,00001 autocad rounds it off and makes it 0.

If you try adding dimensions to a block with zscale=0 you get all kind of strange behavior. It first doesn't snap so you get layout mates and you can't add diameter dimensions. If you don't know this, it can be a pain in the ass to find out why your mates aren't working.

I'm using Autocad 2011.

Edited by CADkitt
missed a 0

Since when is a forum only for asking stuff?

Off course I hope that Autodesk fixes this since they too are watching this forum, but mostly I want other users not to have the pain of spending 30 minutes to find a stupid bug....

If you set zscale to 0,00001 it goes to 0 and autocad can't handle that you get all kind of strange behavior in autocad when zscale is set to 0.

Autocad should limit zscale to 0,0001 instead of rounding it off too 0.

It is not an AutoCAD issue, it is a user setting issue.

Simply open up the Units Dialogue Box, and set precision to a value which will reflect the zscale that you have set.

I didn't realize you were posting a warning about a bug. My apologies. I really did think you were leading up to a question and just forgot to include it as part of your original post.

So user settings that can cause your dimensions to behave strange and not correct isn't a bug?

Off course it is a bug there is a reason that zscale can't be 0 and it should never be 0 then no matter how stupid some user settings are.

In autocad 2008 you can't use the zscale

The key words in your statement are user settings (a setting over which the user has some control).

We're lucky AutoDesk has seen fit to include many user-defined settings and not completely locked us into pre-defined (i.e. - not changeable) settings.

Perhaps you are referring to Dynamic Blocks? You might take some comfort from this discussion then. Another forum member shares your concerns regarding Z scale.

http://www.cadtutor.net/forum/archive/index.php/t-49469.html

If this is something that you want Autodesk to look into - posting it on a forum (even if they do read it *wave* ) is not the way, or not the only way to go. Contact their servicedesk or something.

I am not going to make work to report this as a bug etc I hope I can help some guys that read this forum since the helped me also a lot.

And Autodeks should read these forum if not there not getting any free bug reports from me ;)

They pay people to test there software I am a end user not a beta tester....

Sorry, but I'm convinced this is not a bug. Refer back to my previous post.

It can't get any more clear here you go:

http://www.screencast.com/t/MTk5YTY2OW

And off course nobody will set zscale on 0 on purpose. But it can happen by accident like it happened to me. Since I made a movie of it I'll send it to some one from autodesk...

Sorry, will have a look later, as can't access that site at work.

Surprisingly however, when I search for zscale on google, it returns very little of value to this thread