Insert xref

MisterJingles

Hi guys

I have a large site plan from which I need to plot drawings of around 15 different areas within the site plan. The total amount of drawings will be in the region of 30 A0 plots.

I decided against having 30 layouts on one drawing and rather have the 15 or so separate drawings and xref the site plan into each one.

Would you suggest doing it this way or should I go the layout route?

If I do xref it into the 15 drawings how do I get the xref to insert at the same co-ordinates on the new drawing?

I have set inbase the same on both test drawings but its not working out.

Any help?

Rob

Is the siteplan is georeferenced (to a known corrdinate system)? If so, you shouldn't need to change the INSBASE, but just xref it at 0,0 in all the layout files.

If it were me, I think I would only make 1 layout file (all the layouts together) with the siteplan xrefed in.

Hi Cary

Yes the site plan is geo referenced so I need it to insert at the same spot.

When I xref it without fiddling with insertion points it still ends up in the wrong place.

Are you saying you would use one drawing with multiple layouts?

yes, one dwg with all layouts (and the site plan xrefed)

If the site plan is correctly georeferenced, then wouldn't inserting it at 0,0 be the correct basepoint? Or are you saying that you needed to georeference it yourself to another file (meaning that the site plan itself is not correctly georeferenced)?

30 A0 layouts in one dwg might cause some memory trouble..

It might work, but if you are using a lot of xref's and stuff i would recommand to decrease the amount of layouts pr dwg.

chulse - The original drawing is correctly georeferenced, but when I insert it as an xref the co-ordinates are out of whack.

Slaraffenmann - That is my concern. My machine can be very grumpy and I know she's going to shout at me if I ask for her to perform with 30 different layouts.

Use 15 drawings, set up the first one the way you need it, make that your "template", saveas from that file for each additional file.