Offsetting drawing elements to a different layer

martyn60

When I am offsetting elements in a drawing sometimes i want them on a different layer. My training manual shows me how to do this but the layer option is not available. When starting the offset command, pressing the down arrow key does not give me the layer option. Can I add the layer option to this menu?

(See attachment)

Martyn

cad problem.JPG

I'm sure you are correct about the layer option being available in generic AutoCAD. There must be a similar option in AutoCAD Mechanical. May be AM isn't quite as comprehensive, I'm not sure at the moment.

I would expect the AutoCAD component of Mech to be just as robust as generic AutoCAD. To confirm open your Help file and look up the Offset command.

I would expect that too but there are differences. i.e there isn't the "Action Recorder" facility in AM.

However, I have found the solution to the Offset issue. First you have to set your current layer to the one you want the offsets to adhere to. Then from the drop down menu (in the offset command) it is necessary to select "mode" then "current layer" from the next menu. From that point onwards any offsets occur on the current layer.

Martyn:)

• 1 month later...
I would expect that too but there are differences. i.e there isn't the "Action Recorder" facility in AM.

However, I have found the solution to the Offset issue. First you have to set your current layer to the one you want the offsets to adhere to. Then from the drop down menu (in the offset command) it is necessary to select "mode" then "current layer" from the next menu. From that point onwards any offsets occur on the current layer.

Martyn:)

Intersting note, the shortcut "O" in acad mech is AMOFFSET... not OFFSET, same with "F" - FILLET, I was so frustrated for a while because AMFILLET2D does not act like FILLET at ALL! :shock:

but a little pgp modification took care of that!

I absolutely love AMFILLET and would never go back to the normal Fillet command. Have you been trained on these tools?

No actually... I never used Mech before my new job and i guess was stuck to my "old" ways.. I have played around with it, but couldnt find any advantages other than polyline option, but even then, i never need to do that here... Maybe if you enlighten me i could turn a new leaf??? :unsure::?

Try this with the AMFILLET command. Fillet a corner using the tool. Now go back and double click on that fillet/round. You can change the radius and maintain the trimming of the lines. Now try that with a normal FILLET.

Also here are some other tips for ACADm...

http://blogs.rand.com/manufacturing/autocad-mechanical/

If you want to get to know the ins and outs of ACADm I would suggest buying the AOTC book for it. It only goes up to ACADm 2010, but 2011 is very close to it. Or you could always take a class in one of our Chicago offices.

Looking back, FILLET also has polyline option... shows how often i need it! HA!

You can change the radius and maintain the trimming of the lines. Now try that with a normal FILLET.

Thats a nifty trick... can it, however, allow me to choose my fillet size without opening up a dialog box?

I like being able to "F" "R" ... and I set up LISPS that allow me to use commands like "F25" for .25R and "F12", "F0" etc...

What say you?