Incorrect block insertion point

sdubbs

Hi,

I have some code that gets the insertion point of a block to ensure that it is inserted at 0,0,0. When I list the block in Autocad, the insertion point is 0,0,0 (even when units are set to 8 decimal points). When I get the insertion point for the block in vba it shows insertionpoint(0) = -2.05182e-009.

Why would the insertion point not be the same value as what was shown in autocad?

Is this a title block/borderline in paperspace? If so the offset may have something to do with the plot offset. Has someone manipulated this off of 0,0?

I have attached the block. When I check the xdata of the block I can see the incorrect insertion point (10 -2.05182e-009 0.0 0.0). When I list the block the insertion point is 0,0,0.

Here is the code that checks the block to ensure it's inserted at 0,0,0:

Private Sub checkTitleBlockInsertionPoint()
   Dim temp1 As AcadBlockReference
   If strDrawingType = "iso" Then
       grpCode(0) = 2
       dataVal(0) = strIsoBorderBlockName
   Else
       grpCode(0) = 2
       dataVal(0) = strGABorderBlockName
   End If
   'Problem found with iso border insertion point not reading properly.
   'Temporarily remove the check for insertion point.
   If strDrawingType <> "iso" Then
       Set ssetobj = AddSelectionSet("SS01")
       mode = acSelectionSetAll
       ssetobj.Select mode, , , grpCode, dataVal
       Set temp1 = ssetobj.Item(i)
       i = 0
       For i = 0 To 2
           If temp1.InsertionPoint(i) <> 0 Then
               errorType (2)
               Exit For
           End If
           i = i + 1
       Next
   End If
End Sub

I mostly program using Visual LISP (ActiveX) so forgive my need for clarification...

In the VBAIDE, under Object Browser, the InsertionPoint property is a variant that should return (x y z), not (10 x y z) like DXF code, correct?

Yes, you're correct. The insertionpoint is a variant (Insertionpnt(i) in my code). I just included the dxf group code 10 to show what is returned for the insertion point in vba. When I debug the code, the value shown for x is -2.05182e-009, when it is actually 0 when I list the block.

The notation -2.05182e-009 equates to -0.00000000205182. That would not show in a reading with only 8 decimal places. In the bigger picture, though, that value should be considered 0.

See this webpage listing guidelines a programmer should consider when dealing with Decimal/Binary conversion.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/125056

I had a similar problem when comparing line end point coordinates. The code checked to see if they were equal and everytime it said they were not equal, even though the two lines had been drawn with end point snap on. For me they were equal, but for VBA they were not. The difference was 0.000000000001 millimetres!!!

I introduced a fuzzy check and regarded them as equal if the difference was less than my fuzzy tolerance. You have to determine your own tolerance. It will be different for someone designing precision tools than it would be for someone working with GNSS coordinates.

Then I got the results that I expected.

' first check the eastings of the start point
If Abs(dblTempStart(0) - dblNewEnd(0)) < dblFuzzy Then
   ' then check the northings
   If Abs(dblTempStart(1) - dblNewEnd(1)) < dblFuzzy Then
       dblTemp(0) = dblTempStart(0)
       dblTemp(1) = dblTempStart(1)
       dblTemp(2) = dblTempStart(2)
       dblNewEnd(0) = dblTempEnd(0)
       dblNewEnd(1) = dblTempEnd(1)
       dblNewEnd(2) = dblTempEnd(2)
       objFound = True