Zoom | Extents Gives me Microdots

bergermeister

Hi guys,

I'm currently marking up some electrical items on a building plan.

At present, when I enter the zoom | extents command, the entire drawing is represented as a microdot in the bottom left corner of the screen.

I assume that upon entering the zoom | extents command, my drawing should appear centred on the screen and zoomed such that the entire drawing fills the screen.

What have I done wrong? Do I need to move the drawing origin? Do I need to rescale?

Please type slowly as I'm far from accomplished when it comes all things CAD related.

Thanks for your help,

Berg

If your drawing appears at the bottom of the screen, try looking for something at the top. You will probably find some kind of object there. It might also be an xref attached in wrong scale.

Most likely rogue elements in your drawing. These can be anything from lines drawn in the wrong place, 0 length entitys, blocks with wrong insertion points that have been exploded. all sorts.

Perhaps zoom the the relevant information select it, copy it. Paste to original coordinates in a new drawing.

You can then use that or go back to your original drawing select all in model space delete, paste back your stuff!

As S-man indicated, you have what is commonly referred to as a "floater" way out in space far from your intended geometry. Find and delete that and all should return to normal.

Sounds like you have an entity off in never never land. Try this...

Zoom till you get all the entities you want on screen

Erase > A (for all)

R (for remove) > window all the entities

try zoom > extents again and see if that helps

Thanks for the responses guys.

I'll start by asking, how does one locate the 'floater' in that I may select and delete it.

select all by hitting "ctrl A"

Then hold shift and deselect the right stuff which you know the location of

the hit delete

Just the info I was after, it WORKS!

Thanks to everyone for your assistance - I've learned something.

Berg

• 1 year later...
select all by hitting "ctrl A"

Then hold shift and deselect the right stuff which you know the location of

the hit delete

Thank you so much for the solution!! :)

Be careful if your drawing contains XREFs, as that peripheral item might turn out to be the name of a missing XREF, and be important. Easy enough to check that by entering XREF at the commandline, which will call up your external references dialog box, and checking to see if there is one which has not loaded. If so, REFRESH it or RELOAD ALL. Sometimes it is easier to find mysterious little items with the modelspace view set to conceptual as it changes the color of your background, or isometric viewing angle. Barring the possible XREF problem, Monk is correct, and I like Ipsiefert's suggestion.

• 3 years later...

You can't really zoom extents with nothing to define the extents. What are the extents of nothing? The program will zoom to a default "extents" of a certain amount of modelspace on the screen. Not sure what you think is wrong. What is offset? Do you mean the viewport on the left that is in the Southwest isometric view? That is pretty normal if that is what was expected. If that is not what you want in that viewport, activate the viewport, then click on the View tab, then select Top to get back to viewing the 2D XY plane.

Brand new drawing? They don't default to two viewports. Somebody made them, either in that drawing or in a template drawing that was saved that way.

was that I had AutoCAD window extended to the second monitor and I forgot that, no concerns anymore, thankc for your replay

You can't really zoom extents with nothing to define the extents. What are the extents of nothing? The program will zoom to a default "extents" of a certain amount of modelspace on the screen. Not sure what you think is wrong. What is offset? Do you mean the viewport on the left that is in the Southwest isometric view? That is pretty normal if that is what was expected. If that is not what you want in that viewport, activate the viewport, then click on the View tab, then select Top to get back to viewing the 2D XY plane.

Brand new drawing? They don't default to two viewports. Somebody made them, either in that drawing or in a template drawing that was saved that way.

was that I had AutoCAD window extended to the second monitor and I forgot that, no concerns anymore, thankc for your replay
Oh, yeah. Then there's that.;)