Creating different blocks in P&ID

jgreen19

I read AutoCAD 2010 for Dummies but have not found anything specifically for P&ID. The selection of tanks in the tool pallett is insufficient for the drawing I am trying to make. Three-way valves are not available as well as other items I have not encountered. Is it possible to create the symbols I want and save them to the tool pallett?

If AutoCAD P&ID is anything like AutoCAD Electrical then it should be possible to create your own symbols. Does P&ID use Dynamic blocks for their symbols? I suspect the symbols that come with the software have attributes too, right?

Thank you for replying, I'm not sure how to tell if they are dynamic blocks but they do have attributes. Forgive me for being so green (no pun intended). I have no time to take a structured class so I'm trying to learn from books but I can't find the right book. I feel like a child who's trying to learn how to write by reading War and Peace. I also noticed that I have misspelled pallette.

I've done the tutorials that are supplied with the program and a few that are associated with specific commands within the program but I don't know where to find P&ID tutorials other than that. I don't know what on subscription means.

I am in the process of creating a process flow diagram for the project I am working on using the symbols provided but they are incorrect. Since I am just learning the program I hope to be able to go back and substitute appropriate symbols at a later date.

On "Subscription" means you've paid some extra money for a year's worth of additional content some of which might be more tutorials.

What is it about the symbols that is incorrect? What are you looking for but either can't find or what you are offered does not meet your criteria?

Also take a look at Ursula's Blog in the pipes.

http://in-the-pipes.typepad.com/in_the_pipes/2010/01/introduction-to-adding-symbols-to-autocad-pid.html

And the best book to learn AutoCAD P&ID for Administrators is.

http://store.autodesk.com/DRHM/store?Action=DisplayProductDetailsPage&SiteID=adsk&Locale=en_US&Env=BASE&productID=156454800

I have written several documnets but I would have to locate them.

I have not used it in over a year.

Thanks,

Greg Silva

Thank you, I just arrived at work but will make time to check out the sites. I checked Amazon.com and Microsoft Press for books on P&ID and got nothing.

• 3 weeks later...

jgreen- it took me a little while to figure out how to make blocks, but it's not really that hard.

If you're using 2010, right click on the top of the palette window, where you switch your palettes around. Select '3D Make' and then pick the draw tab on that one. Draw out the symbol that you want. Select everything, then on the 'Home' tab of the main window, pick 'Create' from the Block section. You'll go through a bunch of options there, and you should be able to just leave everything where it is. Click Okay, and you're back at what looks like your drawing. Set a vertex as the base point for your new block, and then select all the items that are to be part of it - you can do this with a click-drag lasso. Once you've got everything selected, hit Enter.

Now you're in the block editor. Set your stuff up however you want it - I'm still figuring out what some of the things here do - and then click 'Save Block' and 'Close Block Editor.'

At this point you've got a block that's on your drawing, but it's not on your palettes. Select the palette you want it to go to and save your drawing. (It's important that you save at this point, or the next steps won't work.)

Now in your project manager, right click on the project name, and select properties. Expand 'P&ID DWG Settings,' then 'P&ID Class Definitions.' From there, go to the category that you want. If there's a pre-made definition for the item you're adding, then just select it and add your symbol. If there's not, right click on the category name and click 'New.' Anyway, once you've got the definition created, click 'Add Symbol,' and then choose the DWG that contains the block you created, and pick the block. Once you've got the symbol in the little window, then click on 'Add to Tool Palette,' and it'll be on the bottom of whichever palette you've got selected. You can drag it around in the palettes to wherever you want it to wind up.