Alias for Inventor

dshowalt

Can someone tell me the reason for Alias for Inventor. Is it a ad in for Inventor or is it a stand alone program. If it is integrated into Inventor how does it work and what is it best used for? I have read the brocures from Autocad and it sounds like a surface modeling design tool rather than an engeneering product. Once created do the shapes become parts to import to Inventor for use in assemblies? I'm confused.

It is actually two programs, Alias Design and a small add-in of Alias tools for Inventor. On install you can select one or the other or both. I am not too familiar with the Alias Design product, but my understanding is it is a freeform surface modeler for Industrial Designers.

What I call the Alias Editor add-in tools in Inventor allows Inventor users to easily modify solids with freeform tools. You can have a history of parametric features and then edit with some freeform tools. Then go back to standard features again. I have it on my machine but have only experimented a bit. From my brief experience this could have been the SWx killer if they had included this small set of tools in default install of Inventor. The tools are very slick.

If you look at who is pushing Inventor and SolidWorks to the limits over the past few years, they all get into surface modeling. This is a natural progression for someone who needs highly stylized parts but also has a real understanding of design for manufacturability. Too often the IDs don't have an appreciation for DFM and their work is largely pretty pictures that drive the ME crazy trying to convert to a manufacturable product. On the otherhad the MEs often don't have the art background for the aesthetics of modern products. These tools help bridge the gap for those who do have a bit of appreciation for both sides.

Students and faculty can get Inventor Professional with Inventor Tooling and Alias Design for Inventor for free from http://www.autodesk.com/edcommunity

There are a few different Alias packages and they are all surface modeling intensive. The layout of Alias is really similar to 3d studio.

Here is a scenario for you:

A designer takes concept sketches and creates a free form surface for a consumer product. Lets say a blender. General shape and size have to be predetermined in order to house all the components but this general surface(once complete) is exported to Inventor. Once in Inventor the user(probably a different person) would add all the features like bosses, snap fit, retainers for components and son on. They would also make sure the housing is split and has lip features and is manufacturable.

Another scenario would be Alias Auto designing a car body. From Alias auto the surface could be exported to Algor Simulation for Flow Analysis to find high/low pressure zones. Once the design is finalized the body surface could be sent to Inventor to be split and turned into tooling to produce formed sheet metal parts.

The add-in tools allow you some control without going back into alias. In most cases the Alias user would not be the Inventor user so neither one would have both software packages at their disposal.