Block Disappears When Exploded

gsksun4

I've inserted my border which is a block into a cad drawing from a customer and I need to explode it to edit my text. When I explode the border, it disappears. The layer it's on is on and thawed and not locked. Anyone know why it disappears? I cannot attach the file because it's a 5 meg drawing.

What did you use as an insertion point?

Did you have to scale up/down the block upon insertion?

Boy, you're fast today. I didn't notice the insertion point when I did the insert. I inserted it at a scale of 105 to fit around the floor plan. I'm going to try and attach the file now. Please give me a minute.

Oh,, using 2009LT.

Glenn

OK, I got it now and e-mailed you the drawing. Funny thing though, I inserted one of my voice/data drops (a triangle with an attribute) into the file and it exploded fine. Even though I don't have to explode them. This is very odd. I even w-blocked the drawing out as a different file name, opened up the new file and it did the same thing with the border.

Why not open the border in the Block Editor and change the text there?

I believe I found the problem. It appears that when you explode the block, named "24x36", it wants to default to layer "0". Layer "0" is frozen in your drawing! Sometimes the simplest things are right before our eyes but we fail to notice them. Been there...done that...too.

Does the border line work, text, etc. show up if you thaw, and turn on *ALL* layers?

It seems ReMark has solved the problem. When exploded, the border goes to a frozen layer. Thanks for your input RenderMan.

Why not open the border in the Block Editor and change the text there?

I believe I found the problem. It appears that when you explode the block, named "24x36", it wants to default to layer "0". Layer "0" is frozen in your drawing! Sometimes the simplest things are right before our eyes but we fail to notice them. Been there...done that...too.

I didn't think of using the block editor. Old dog, new trick. I've just been exploding that border for over 10 yerars.

I wonder why it jumps to layer 0 ReMark. Any idea? I never had that happen before.

I just thawed that layer and put your tip in my cad bible for future PITA files.

So glad you're around to help us. If I ever win the lottery........................... Heh.

Thanks so much, once again.

Glenn

Thanks for the compliment, ReMark!

You're welcome, Gsksun4. :)

Often blocks are drawn on the zero ("0") layer, with ByLayer settings as appropriate. This precludes any issues with having line work on proposed or existing layers, and then the block is copied to a layer it shouldn't be on, etc. By placing the line work on the zero layer, whatever layer the block resides on, the block displays it's (the layer's) display properly (until exploded).

For example:

If you had a proposed block (comprised of proposed line work), and that block was placed (accidentally?) on an existing layer while the proposed layer is frozen... missing block, and a confused User. Make sense...?

Personally, I prefer the ._refedit command (when applicable), but I never really attempt that with our borders (anymore), as we've updated them all to include attributed data, which typically updates with fields and SSM.

Good luck!

Thanks for the compliment, ReMark!

You're welcome, Gsksun4. :)

Often blocks are drawn on the zero ("0") layer, with ByLayer settings as appropriate. This precludes any issues with having line work on proposed or existing layers, and then the block is copied to a layer it shouldn't be on, etc. By placing the line work on the zero layer, whatever layer the block resides on, the block displays it's (the layer's) display properly (until exploded).

For example:

If you had a proposed block (comprised of proposed line work), and that block was placed (accidentally?) on an existing layer while the proposed layer is frozen... missing block, and a confused User. Make sense...?

Personally, I prefer the ._refedit command (when applicable), but I never really attempt that with our borders (anymore), as we've updated them all to include attributed data, which typically updates with fields and SSM.

Good luck!

Thank you for that explanation RenderMan.

Glenn