AutoCAD dictionaries GONE

icedkasz

Hey there folks,

every time I try to enter / alter text, autocad informs me that it can't find a dictionary for spell checking purposes. I can live with that, but the constant pop-up is getting old.

I tried to reset my Main Dictionary... but it seems to be gone. Is a fresh re-install in order?

See pic attached

text entering error.jpg

Under no circumstances should you do an uninstall/reinstall. Would you change all four tires on your car if only one had a flat?

You could try a Repair. That should restore it. Perhaps the file got moved or corrupted.

Repair probably would have done the job.

I ended up doing a search for my damn missing files (*.dct), and spotted the russian one in the file list (rus.dct). Turns out these were another copy of the dictionaries from a 30day trial of AutoCAD 2011. So, problem solved, but I totally cheated.

text entering error fixed.jpg

I'll leave this around for posterity, but ReMark seems to have the appropriate solution.

• 11 months later...

Dictionaries are located at C:\Program Files\Autodesk\AutoCAD Architecture 2011\Support.

Add this file to "Options, Files, Support File Search Path". Then go down to "Text Editor, Dictionary and Font File Location". Select "Main Dictionary", choose your language (American English in my case) then click "Set Current".

• 3 years later...

While at a temp assignment, I came across this problem. What seems to be happening is the main AutoCAD folder accidentally got moved from "Program Files/Autodesk/" to "Program Files/". The program is looking for the dictionary in its accustomed place, but it's not there. Seems like there'd be more disruption if the whole folder had moved. It's not my system, I'm not going to attempt to fix it, but maybe someone else will see this problem.