AutoCAD Serial and Authorisation (Activation) Codes - Help on History

Jer

Hi

I have been seeking a copy of AutoCAD and want a legal second hand copy. I have researched the Internet and see from the Timothy Vernor case (2008)that this is legal but Autodesk don't like it.

I have been offered a whole set of Autocad discs from 2005 through to 2010 including both LT and the full version. The company when bankrupt and the manuals, boxes, software DVDs etc were acquired in a liquidation sale.

I am going to view this lot and want to know what I need to look for.

My current understanding is that AutoCAD requires a serial number and authorisation code. From an old thread I can see that in 2004 the serial no was on the DVD and the other code on the packaging of the DVD. The seller seems to have two numbers for each software copy.

I also read that up until 2007 (I don't know whether that includes 2007?) you just needed these 2 number and installation was all 'offline'. I have heard that since then you need the second code to be generated by Autodesk and that if you try and install on a second machine when you upgrade your PC etc you need a new code. That then places you in the hands of Autodesk and if they don't like second hand software sales then I suspect you might not get the code.

Can anyone help with the dates/facts. I simply want to judge which copies are a simple load and use and which may be at risk of being valueless to me.

I am happy to buy a copy of 2006 or 2007 (Full) if with 2 codes I can load offline and definitely acquire a useable product.

Help/advice appreciated.

Regards

Jer

You might try contacting AutoDesk directly for the most accurate information. Do you know of a local authorized AutoDesk reseller?

Your information is generally correct. Early versions required the user to input a serial number and a CD key. Technically speaking the software could have been loaded on a hundred computers and AutoDesk wouldn't know so they went the Microsoft way and required the user to input the serial number BUT go online to obtain an authorization code. I believe the user can only load the software on more than one computer if the user has signed up for a "Subscription".

• 2 weeks later...

Vernor lost on appeal -- court ruled first sale does NOT apply to software, and Autodesk is holding firm. Whatever you are paying for the original media is money you are throwing away -- you will NOT get auth codes from Autodesk.

Isn't it neat, that the software that we buy from vendors for thousands of dollars has a cash value of zero?

We thought we bought the software but as we've been told we bought a license to use the software and nothing more. Does that mean I didn't buy my Toyota Corolla too?

I have read that he was trying to sell copies that had ready been upgraded. This I can see as being illegal. But I do think that one should be able to sell their final copies. Oh well :(

Vernor lost on appeal -- court ruled first sale does NOT apply to software, and Autodesk is holding firm. Whatever you are paying for the original media is money you are throwing away -- you will NOT get auth codes from Autodesk.

Isn't it neat, that the software that we buy from vendors for thousands of dollars has a cash value of zero?