A cry for help! Importing an Autocad model into sketchup...

avalot

Hello wise ones!

I'm in a bind. :cry: I've got to model a set design for a theatrical performance that is to take place in the Gates Planetarium/IMAX theatre at the Denver Museum of Nature and Science.

They've sent me a DWG and a DXF of the inside of the planetarium, and I'm trying to import those. The DWG fails, but the DXF comes through... but only the dome! The seats and the actual theatre are getting "ignored", I think. Sketchup says:

Screen shot 2010-09-12 at 11.48.18 AM.jpg

It says it "ignored 152 solids". I think the 152 solids are the ramps, seats, and theatre floor... which is what I need.

Someday I'll learn Autocad... but I'm still on baby steps in Sketchup, and I have a show to model!

I've uploaded the file to http://valot.com/DMNS.dxf (1.3megs)

Could someone find it in their heart to check the file for me, and if there's a way to convert these "solids" to something sketchup can import, could you help me out?

I hope this kind of request in these forums is okay. :unsure: Please let me know if otherwise.

Are you both using the same program? For example, I use AutoCad Architecture which contains a lot of AEC objects, but if I were to send the drawing to someone using plain AutoCad I would have to export to AutoCad in order for those objects to show up.

In AutoCAD, I just opened the dxf file you posted, did a selectall, and below is a pic of the properties palette.

It shows pretty much what you managed to import into sketchup.

dome.PNG

I have the AEC enabler installed on mine so I should see ADT items if they are in the dxf file but I am not sure dxf files retain that information like a true ADT dwg would. Now if it were a dwg you might be on to something.

Are you both using the same program? For example, I use AutoCad Architecture which contains a lot of AEC objects, but if I were to send the drawing to someone using plain AutoCad I would have to export to AutoCad in order for those objects to show up.