Wedge

KATIE0801

Hi - I need to draw a wedge whereby it is standing on one of its triangle faces instead of one of the rectangle faces. No matter which co-ordinates i enter the bottom is always rectangle. Please help.

Hi. 3D. Yes i think so. The wedge is needed so that afterwards i can use it to remove one corner of a box (representing a room) and in turn give the room 5 walls instead of 4. Let me know if this does not make sense. Katie

Kind of sounds like a couple of the rooms in my house where I have a short wall at a 45 degree angle.

Since you are working in 3D why not just use an extruded 3D line (a surface) as a slicing plane to remove the corner of the wall?

No I do not have a ready-made tutorial available. It is simply a matter of drawing the line at the correct angle and making sure it is located, in plan view, where it needs to be. Then extrude the line a little bit higher than the height of the walls so you can clearly see it. Start the Slice command. The object(s) to be sliced are the walls. When AutoCAD asks for the slicing plane select the Surface option. This will be the object used to slice the walls. When asked to select the solid you want to keep select the bulk of the room not the corner. AutoCAD will delete the corner. You delete the surface then add in the angled portion of the wall.

Question: Why didn't you draw the wall, in plan view, with the angle already included?

You can use thickness to give the effect of wall heights then you just draw in the normal plan view. No need to trim as the object is not a solid you will tough need two lines to represent a wall.

I am having problems pasting an image to here our IT guys have done something, a full 3D house done this way, then use pfaces's for the roof walls & doors can be cut in fly throughs are possible, walk up a spiral stair case in your new house it looks pretty cool.

Sent you a private email pleas respond if you want an example, will try to sort out the image problem.