Making a contour model using 3ds Max (2009) - From an AutoCAD .dwg file

ndermawan

Hey guys, I've been using Autodesk3dsmax for a while now (though nothing advanced, basic modeling and rendering) but I've never used 3dsmax to make a contour model or anything of the sort (usually when i make a context/base for models i just use a plane and edit the vertexes to make a more believable ground plane) and so I need a bit of help on something I'm doing right now.

So basically I have to make a 3d model of a quarry for my studies, and I've read a bit of the contour modeling tutorial, the problem is that what I have looks nothing like what the tutorial says I SHOULD have.

I'll just explain my attachments a bit

1. CAD drawing of quarry contours

2. Imported CAD drawing

3. Contours after using the terrain command

4. Solid view

5. Rendered view - because I don't know whats wrong with it >.

6-9. Close up of my CAD drawing - it doesnt actually form a closed shape within itself - is that the problem? The lines all finish at a common point though....

Help would be greatly appreciated (:

Nanda D

CAD drawing screencap.jpg

Imported drawing.jpg

terrain.jpg

terrain f4 view.jpg

rendered terrain.jpg

cad closeup 1.jpg

cad closeup 2.jpg

cad closeup 3.jpg

cad closeup 4.jpg

Mt Leura Quarry 3D model reference (2).dwg

Larger context plan 1-5000.dwg

Edited by ndermawan

Yep sure, I've just edited my first post to be able to attach the files there...should come up soonish.

Do I have to specify heights or something? Ive mentioned before I read the tutorial on how to make contour models but the maker of the tutorial seems to have a different version of 3d studio max to mine and maybe thats the problem? I couldn't follow the tutorial step by step.

I've tried just drawing circles on a .dwg page and then importing it to 3dstudio then using terrain and that too doesn't do anything beneficial for me...really stumped here

Seen a couple of contour maps done by classmates on Rhino but I'm new to that and this doesn't seem to be the place to discuss that anyway :P

thanks for the reply

Hi sorry, been busy :S

ermm so yes I know it sounds stupid but yeah my contours are flat >.

Does that mean the 'terrain' command is just like putting a skin/wrap over the lines to make it something more tangible?

Yes, just move the contours up, or down, depending on whether you're trying to create a hill or a valley.

Yes, the Terrain command just drapes a surface over your contours, so if all of your contours are flat, on the same plane, you will just end up with a flat surface.

Ah alright, I get it now >.

By the way is there an easy way to move lines in the drawing up on the Z axis? (vertical)

I apologize if this is such a hassle, i've never used autoCAD for anything other than drawing on the flat plan view yet :S

hit M [enter] to activate move (I'm pretty sure this will be set up as a standard shortcut) select the line you want to move, hit enter again, you'll be promted for your base point, type 0,0,200 (200 being the number of units you want the line to move up) hit enter again, commandline will show: specify second point or , just hit enter again to use this second option and your line should move 200 units along the Z axis.

Make sure your UCS is orientated properly so this does what you want, in this case your lines should be in the XY plane as they are moving along the Z plane.

Yeah..i just use ddvpoint and orientate the UCS to 0,0 degrees...then i just move it up. I have to use ortho to make sure they don't move in any of the other planes though haha...

I'm using autoCAD 2010 and maybe the format/layout i'm using is different because when i use the move command it doesn't prompt me to input 3 different points, just one or sometimes two.

Thanks for the tip though (: