toberino's Computer Details
    Operating System:
    Windows 7 64 bit
    Computer:
    NZXT: NEMESIS CASE
    Motherboard:
    ASUS M4A87TD EVO
    CPU:
    AMD Athlon II X4 2.8 GHz (overclocked to 3.525 GHz)
    RAM:
    Crucial 2GB DDR3 (x4)
    Graphics:
    HIS Radeon HD 5450 1GB DDR3
    Primary Storage:
    WD Caviar Green (varible speed) 500 GB
    Secondary Storage:
    WD 500 GB
    Monitor:
    22" Acer Widescreen
    Discipline
    Architectural
    toberino's Discipline Details
    Occupation
    Structural Designer
    Discipline
    Architectural
    Details
    Architectural, Construction, Structural, Utilities, Surveying, GIS
    Using
    Architecture 2014

Registered forum members do not see this ad.

The scale factors will work exactly the same in model space as they do thru the viewport in paperspace. Refer to the list I posted above.

Using
    AutoCAD 2010

Toberino,
    Thanks for your help and appologies if this is now becomming frustrating. followed your advice as per suggestion and the pdf zooms out not in, so far out it cannot be seen? in model space the annoted scale is 1:1

Computer Details
    Operating System:
    Windows 7 64 bit
    Computer:
    Motherboard:
    ASUS M4A87TD EVO
    CPU:
    RAM:
    Crucial 2GB DDR3 (x4)
    Graphics:
    Primary Storage:
    Secondary Storage:
    WD 500 GB
    Monitor:
    22" Acer Widescreen
    Discipline
    Architectural
    Occupation
    Structural Designer
    Discipline
    Architectural
    Details
    Using
    Architecture 2014

1:500 is the wrong scale then. try 1:100

Computer Details
    Operating System:
    Windows 7 64 bit
    Computer:
    Motherboard:
    ASUS M4A87TD EVO
    CPU:
    RAM:
    Crucial 2GB DDR3 (x4)
    Graphics:
    Primary Storage:
    Secondary Storage:
    WD 500 GB
    Monitor:
    22" Acer Widescreen
    Discipline
    Architectural
    Occupation
    Structural Designer
    Discipline
    Architectural
    Details
    Using
    Architecture 2014

Ok, I believe I was misleading you slightly since you are working with meter and millimeter units and I am used to inches and feet. So since your units are all on a base of 10 rather than 12 things are slightly different. They are a lot simpler with metric units. I believe your xp should just be 1/500xp. I think. I have not studied very intently. I will if I have to though.

Here are a couple of links that should help you understand what you need to do to get the right zoom factor.

http://www.cadtutor.net/tutorials/au...e-exercise.php

http://www.cadtutor.net/forum/showth...ut-print-scale

http://www.cadtutor.net/forum/showth...aling+viewport

If you have more questions after checking out these other posts feel free to ask me. I enjoy learning new things and helping you problem solve is just another opportunity.

Using
    MEP 2017

JonoR, I think some of your confusion may be due to the way AutoCAD "sees" units. A line 1 unit long is 1 unit long no matter what label it has, meters, millimeters, inches, feet, light years, etc. In other words, say you have a drawing setup in light years and one setup in millimeters. Draw a line 1 unit long in the one that is setup in light years, copy and paste it into the drawing that is setup in millimeters. That line will still measure 1 unit long. Now when going from mm to m you will need to use a scale factor of 1000 to adjust your drawing accordingly.

I hope that makes sense. I have seen it explained better.
    Drafting is a breeze.

Computer Details
    BlackBox's Computer Details
    Operating System:
    Windows 8.1 Professional, Server 2012 R2 Datacenter
    Computer:
    Dell Precision T3600
    CPU:
    Hex-Core Intel Xeon 3.2Ghz
    RAM:
    32GB
    Graphics:
    3GB NVIDIA Quadro K4000
    Primary Storage:
    2 x 240GB Samsung EVO SSD (RAID 0)
    Secondary Storage:
    1TB Western Digital VelociRaptor 10K RPM
    Monitor:
    Dual 24" Dell Ultrasharp Widescreen Monitors
    Discipline
    Civil
    BlackBox's Discipline Details
    Occupation
    Senior Civil Designer
    Discipline
    Civil
    Details
    Public/Private Land Development, Transportation, and Utilities.
    Using
    Civil 3D 2016

Quote Originally Posted by toberino View Post
    If you have more questions after checking out these other posts feel free to ask me. I enjoy learning new things and helping you problem solve is just another opportunity.

What a great attitude to have, Happy Friday!
    "Potential has a shelf life." - Margaret Atwood
    AutoCAD, and Civil 3D Certified Professional | Autodesk Authorized Developer
    Sincpac C3D ~ Exchange Apps ~ Autoloader ~ AutoCAD Security

Using
    AutoCAD 2010

Quote Originally Posted by toberino View Post
    Model space should 1:1, therefore, get the PDF to the right scale in model space first, then in your viewport in paperspace type z, then hit enter, then type "1/6000xp". This will zoom in to the model space thru the viewport and set a scale of 1:500. Lock the viewport or double click outside the viewport to get out of model space and back into paperspace so that you dont mess up your scale.
    Toberino I get this part but what I think is creating chaos within my drawing and throwing everything out is the fact that the drawing has been scaled to get to the size it is at. See post above where I mention that I have inserted the PDF and it is to scale ie when I measure somethin on the drawing in model space it is correct i.e. my driveway is 6m wide or 6000mm wide which ever drawing I am in.

When I go to view port the drawing is a small dot in the bottom left corner. I hit extents button and the drawing fills the viewport. Great. if I look at the viewport scale it is 1.880408. The scale in model space was 1:1. If, instead of hitting the extents button I follow your previous suggestion of z then 1/6000xp then the drawing becomes even smaller than the dot it was I have tried all sorts of variations on this with the same result. if double click outside the viewport then the whole page becomes so small it cant be seen and my screen is a grey colour matching the background to the viewport screen. I think that the scale factoring to get the PDF to the right size is now effecting all of this. So how do you keep the PDF at the right size but zero the scale factor? I have tried doing this in the properties but no luck it changes the PDF back to a smaller size and messes the scale factor up so when I measure on the drawing it is all wrong. Any suggestions?

thanks again for your help.

Computer Details
    Operating System:
    Windows 7 64 bit
    Computer:
    Motherboard:
    ASUS M4A87TD EVO
    CPU:
    RAM:
    Crucial 2GB DDR3 (x4)
    Graphics:
    Primary Storage:
    Secondary Storage:
    WD 500 GB
    Monitor:
    22" Acer Widescreen
    Discipline
    Architectural
    Occupation
    Structural Designer
    Discipline
    Architectural
    Details
    Using
    Architecture 2014

Quote Originally Posted by JonoR View Post
    Toberino I get this part but what I think is creating chaos within my drawing and throwing everything out is the fact that the drawing has been scaled to get to the size it is at. See post above where I mention that I have inserted the PDF and it is to scale ie when I measure somethin on the drawing in model space it is correct i.e. my driveway is 6m wide or 6000mm wide which ever drawing I am in.
    So by doing this, you have essentially made the model space 1:1. Now you are to square one. You have your PDF scaled properly. Next step, get the scale factor set for your plot.

When I go to view port the drawing is a small dot in the bottom left corner. I hit extents button and the drawing fills the viewport. Great. if I look at the viewport scale it is 1.880408.
    Ignore this for right now.

The scale in model space was 1:1. If, instead of hitting the extents button I follow your previous suggestion of z then 1/6000xp then the drawing becomes even smaller than the dot it was I have tried all sorts of variations on this with the same result.
    I was wrong about this number as this is for feet and inches. Try 1/500xp. I might be wrong about this number. I have not had a chance to dive into metric units yet. I will tomorrow at work.

if double click outside the viewport then the whole page becomes so small it cant be seen and my screen is a grey colour matching the background to the viewport screen.
    Try double clicking inside your veiwport and see what happens. You should see the viewport lines get thicker. Then double click in the grey area and see what happens. The viewport lines get lighter again. In paper space you can be in either model space(which is actually your active veiwport, when the lines are thicker) or paper space(when the "model space" or "veiwport" lines are lighter again). You can zoom your paperspace just like you can zoom in modelspace. But you don't want to do that, you want to zoom through your veiwport.
    Double click in the grey area to activate your paperspace and do a zoom extents. This will fit your paperspace to your screen.

I think that the scale factoring to get the PDF to the right size is now effecting all of this.
    No it is not. You just need to get an understanding of scaling your plots to get the right scale on the output.

So how do you keep the PDF at the right size but zero the scale factor?
    Zero is not what we are trying to accomplish. 1:500 is.

I have tried doing this in the properties but no luck it changes the PDF back to a smaller size and messes the scale factor up so when I measure on the drawing it is all wrong. Any suggestions?
    Don't mess with any of the properties. You only have two things to do. 1)Scale the PDF so that it is essentially 1:1, which you have already accomplished. 2)Zoom in through your veiwport to get the correct scale factor, which is 1:500. Which is the whole "Z", enter, 1/500xp routine.

Have you tried plotting anything yet and dropping a rule on it to check what scale you are getting?
    I apologize if you already know some of what I am saying but without knowing what your exact skill level is it is hard to describe the steps necessary without being redundant. Otherwise I might miss an important step that I might have assumed you knew but did not.

Just out of curiosity, exactly what scale are you trying to get? 1mm=500mm, or 1m=500m?

Have you checked out the links I posted you?
    Last edited by toberino; 20th Sep 2010 at 06:27 am.

Using
    AutoCAD 2010

Hi Toberino,

This is all starting to make sense now ... THANKS!! and just to answer your question I am a beginer, I have only being working on CAD for a couple of months, I dont have anyone in my office who does it as I work alone. I am an irrigation engineer and I have started to learn CAD as I am doing more design and consulting, I have been getting a CAD operator to do it for me till now.

the scale I am trying to achieve is 1:500. so using a scale ruler 1cm on the printed page will equal to 5m on the ground. Reading what you have said here I am correct in assuming that: as my drawing in 1:1 in model space, my units to scale are in meters then the scale I set in my view port should be 1/1000xp? As one unit in model space equals 1000mm on the ground??? However this is not working as regardless of the scale I set be it 1/5000xp or 1/1xp and any and everything in between the content of that viewport shrinks down to what ever the factor of that scale determines, at 1/1 the drawing decreases in size by about 36%. I havent printed it yet but I will do so first thing in the morning to see what scale it prints out at.

just to clarify and to see if I have understood correctly, if I what to print a drawing and I want the scale to be 1:100 do I set the scale in the view port as 1/100xp?

Sorry if this is doing your head in.

Thanks again for your help.

Computer Details
    Operating System:
    Windows 7 64 bit
    Computer:
    Motherboard:
    ASUS M4A87TD EVO
    CPU:
    RAM:
    Crucial 2GB DDR3 (x4)
    Graphics:
    Primary Storage:
    Secondary Storage:
    WD 500 GB
    Monitor:
    22" Acer Widescreen
    Discipline
    Architectural
    Occupation
    Structural Designer
    Discipline
    Architectural
    Details
    Using
    Architecture 2014

Registered forum members do not see this ad.

Could you post the .dwg so that I can take a look at what you have?