Isometric drawing of a 120 degree desk

busseynova

Intereseting problem this, given that I only just learnt how to do Iso properly yesterday. I have these 3 way desks, each covers 120 of a full circle. In the attached plan DWG the plan view model shows what it looks like. I just want to get the tops sorted at first ad then I can figure out the legs. I can't figure the angles out at the moment.

Are there techniques for this sort of thing or am I just about to enter a world of pain?

120 DESKS.dwg

I've done them in 3D. The reason for Iso is that on our website we have the other products as line drawings, processed through illustrator. This also means we have them as EPS linedrawings in the event that there are no other images of a product.

I've started on the isometric route as I now need to do the section for this range and it would be nice to have it looking consistent between the ranges, but as you can see from this previous section: http://www.verco.co.uk/systdesking_visbeam.htm my predecessor clearly struggled with the 120 too!

I can do that? Just by tracing over the model you mean? or is there a simpler way?

I guess I didn't think about that way, was trying to remember back to my tech class and if there was a technique for drawing objects that are off square in Iso. I can imagine it'd come in handy. Still, can you elaborate on how to 'extract' any more, is there a command? If so just tell me the name and I can look into it further.

Or maybe like this? http://ezinearticles.com/?AutoCAD-Training---Flattening-3D-Into-2D-So-You-Can-Paint,-Hatch-and-Print-Geometry&id=2024113

I guess the only agrument againt is that I have all kinds of fillets on the model which would make for a fairly messy line drawing. But that, to be fair, is more than I have at the moment!

Plain AutoCAD can produce 2D drawings of 3D objects using commands such as SolProf, the combo commands of SolView/SolDraw and a command introduced in 2007 called Flatshot. Each has its advantages/disadvantages.

I was unaware of the method outlined in the article you linked to above. Thanks. I'll add it to my arsenal of 3D CAD weapons.

This can be done in Isometric but with almost no training in drawing in Isometric it is probably beyond you at this point. 3D is definitely the way to go if you already know 3D, once modeled in 3D, set up for, say, a SW iso, use flatshot, go back to top view to see your iso.

In your current drawing that you posted, to see what the top would look like in iso, start the VIEW command, pick SW, make it current, exit the dialog. That is what the top three would look like in an ISO.

• 2 weeks later...