Need help drawing... Simple

jmaurerhrtlndstl

OK, so when I draw a circle everything turns out fine...as it should. Here is the ? When I try the array feature it always makes them bigger. someone please help me scale or do whatever. Im getting a headache and i know this is simple. thanks and feel free to move this as i put it in first one

can someone just give me like a tutorial or step by step the right way to draw all three of these sorry best pics i can do right now. they are from the droid!

i hope everyone knows im not just wanting someone to draw i just kinda want a lesson on how. as i stated in earlier threads I will be taking some classes soon but until then im looking to the wise (re :)) for help thanks in advance all

Do you mean the 5/8" hole ends up bigger after you have arrayed it?, or is the bolt circle larger than you expect?

If the latter you have to be sure and pick the center of the array, in this case the center of the larger circle that represents the flange. In the array dialog there is a button for picking the center point, pick that button, then using the CENter osnap pick on the larger circle.

the circle is larger... they way i have been trying to draw this is making my main circle with the 19 inch od then drawing another circle at just over 5/8. then i select my 5/8 circle and go to array. when i put in the 12 holes and 360 degrees it makes the array larger than my 19 inch od circle. im trying to figure out how to make that smaller because it needs to on an imaginary 17od circle. and i am referencing the "cover" drawing. what do i need to do to make the array of holes smaller to fit into my circle? thanks all

Examine the command line during the array - are you selecting the proper basepoint? Are you answering "Yes" to the rotate option? I've usually had problems with yes, try no.

So it's the array that's getting bigger, Not the circles, correct? Your original post made it sound like the circles were getting bigger.

I agree with Patrick. It sounds like you're not picking the correct base point for the array.

Check out our tutorials here: http://www.cadtutor.net/tutorials/autocad/modifying-objects.php

You must draw the 5/8" circle in the correct place, in other words on the 17" bolt circle, then use the center of the bolt circle for the center of the array.

Let's start with the flange. Look at the sequence below.

Simple_Flange.jpg

Far left. Draw all three of your main circles. Once you have drawn the first use your Center osnap to draw the other two. Use Center osnap to locate the bolt hole on one of the quadrants of the bolt hole circle.

Next right. Use the Array command, Polar option, to create the remainder of the bolt holes. The center point of your array is the center of the three large circles. For the quantity of circles type 12.

Next right. Draw your center lines.

Far right. Use the Rotate command to rotate all the circles 15 degrees. Bolt holes should straddle flange centerlines. The centerpoint for your rotation is the center of the three large circles.

Make any necessary changes to linetypes (center lines) as required. You can handle that can't you?

Given the above example I'm sure you can now reproduce the cover drawing. As for the bottom take a look at this sequence. I used the circle, mirror, and trim commands. The use of osnaps to correctly locate geometry is highly recommended. Common osnaps are center, endpoint, midpoint, perpendicular, and quadrant. Add to these any other you would normally use in your course of work.

Can you figure out for yourself how each of the images below were done?

I'll leave changing the linetype depicting the centerline of the inner circles to you.

Simple_Bottom.jpg