New Drawing Units & Paper space Standard Scale Questions

geocad

Hello all,

My company just upgraded to 2011 form 2000 and as you can imagine, it is taking awhile to get used to all the changes.

My first question is related to new drawings. Whenever I start a new drawing it automatically sets the units in inches. I have to go into the main drop down menu and change the units to feet every time. How would this be changed so that the drawing units are in feet?

My second question relates to papers space. I was working on a drawing and went to change the viewport scale under the properties dialog box. The drawing was in decimal feet, but all of the drop down standard scales were in architectural. I prefer to use 1:10 (one inch equals 10 feet), 1:20, and so on.

I have figured out that using scalelistedit, I can remove these standard scales, but how can I add all of the other scales without manually entering them one by one?

Thanks for any help in advance.

Once you have all the various settings the way you want, save that drawing as a template (.dwt) file in the template file location, then in Options, Files,templates, specify that file to use for new drawings. With the units set the scale list should show, if not, open the template, add those, save and close. Any new drawings will have those available.

A) Are you working on vanilla AutoCAD? Because a unit can be an inch, foot, meter, light year, whatever you want. What makes you think the units are inches?

B) Edit this list once in your template drawing(s), then it will be set for future drawings.

A) Are you working on vanilla AutoCAD? Because a unit can be an inch, foot, meter, light year, whatever you want. What makes you think the units are inches?

B) Edit this list once in your template drawing(s), then it will be set for future drawings.

I am working in Map3D. I think I assumed that the drawing was in inches b/c the insertion scale was set to inches. I believe that assumption is wrong. What I have done now is set the qnew button to call a dwt that has the insertion scale set to feet, so I don't have to change it.

As far as the standard scale issue goes, someone must have removed the non-architectural scales by accident b/c when I load a new drawing all the scales are there. Is there anyway of reintroducing the scales to the list once they are deleted without doing it manually one by one.

Thanks to both of you for the quick responses.

I dont pick from the scale list rather just use the viewport scale box and enter a scale factor 10 = 1:100 5 = 1:200 saves scrolling up and down we are also metric autocad puts correct label to it.

Its quick and dirty way sometimes to work out what scale fits a viewport window just make a viewport size it to suit sheet then mouse scale look at the number in the viewport box say 4.76234 then I would put 5 or 4 1:200 or 1:250 if you put 3 then your at 1:333 still looking for that scale ruler.

I dont pick from the scale list rather just use the viewport scale box and enter a scale factor...

Thank you for the input BIGAL, I will look into that.

Note that If you have annotative objects in the drawing, setting the viewport scale using any other method than the scale list in the status bar, does not trigger the annotative objects to do their thing (hide, visible, scale, etc).

Thanks rkmcswain was not aware of that, working in metric its pretty easy to know what number equals what scale and I will change my method to take advantage of not having to reset annotative scales as you point out