Road Profile lengths do not reflect actual

Bunkerk68

I have created an alignment with Stations 100+00 to just of 118+00. However when I generate a profile it shorts me 140' of profile at the beginning and about 300' towards the end. I have tried to start a new project and regenerate an alignment and profile with no luck. Any ideas? Thanks Kathy:?

Congrats on your first post, and welcome to the forums!

Disclaimer: I do not have an AutoCAD version that old (I work with 2006 & 2009), so forgive me if I describe a feature you do not have.

Assuming you have added the vertical portion to your horizontal alignment, from the Profiles menu pull-down:

• Create Profile > Full Profile...

In the resulting Profile Generator window, under 'Station Range' at the top, you should see the 'Start' station. Double check this to see that it is set for the beginning of your alignment.

Hope this helps!

Thanks for responding. I know I have an old version.... I have tried what you indicated. I try to change the stations and it tells me it is out of range, yet when I go to generate the profile, it shows the correct station range.

If the station(s) you're attempting to input present an 'Out of Range' message, then:

• Your alignment does not include the desired stations (i.e., it's not long enough)
  • And/or, you have multiple alignments (i.e., the missing segment is part of another alignment)

Simply overwrite your alignment to include the appropriate station range.

Or, you could produce a profile for each alignment, and use your PaperSpace mview's to 'join' the profiles within your drawing sheets, or (I do not recommend this option!) in ModelSpace physically combine the two separate profiles.

When I go into alignment to set the current alignment, the stations are shown correctly, then when I generate the profile, the stations are shorted. I am so confused. Never had this happen before.

Thanks for all your suggestions....anything else I could try?

If the station(s) you're attempting to input present an 'Out of Range' message, then:

• Your alignment does not include the desired stations (i.e., it's not long enough)
  • And/or, you have multiple alignments (i.e., the missing segment is part of another alignment)

Simply overwrite your alignment to include the appropriate station range.

Or, you could produce a profile for each alignment, and use your PaperSpace mview's to 'join' the profiles within your drawing sheets, or (I do not recommend this option!) in ModelSpace physically combine the two separate profiles.

Hmmm... and you sampled from the existing surface before making your alignment?

Double check your vertical alignment... this is beginning to sound like the profile is trying to output only where you've 'Tied in" your proposed vertical grades, no?

Try this... produce your profile. Compare the total length of your alignment against the total length of the profile (end station - begin station = total length); are they the same?

You *might* need to simply re-do your alignment, so that it begins/ends where you want.

RenderMan, Thank you for all your ideas. I must say that I created my alignment before I sampled my surface. Does that really matter? If so, can you explain.

Thanks again,

Kathy

Hmmm... and you sampled from the existing surface before making your alignment?

Double check your vertical alignment... this is beginning to sound like the profile is trying to output only where you've 'Tied in" your proposed vertical grades, no?

Try this... produce your profile. Compare the total length of your alignment against the total length of the profile (end station - begin station = total length); are they the same?

You *might* need to simply re-do your alignment, so that it begins/ends where you want.

Command:

Select Alignment:

Alignment Name: EXCL Number: 2 Descr: Existing Centerline

Starting Station: 10000.00 Ending Station: 11830.56

Command: Specify opposite corner:

Starting station: 100+00 Ending station: 118+30.56

You have sampled profile for 1830.56 feet of alignment

That is what is says on my command line. I tried inserting a picture of the screen where the profile generator screen shows different stations. I don't know if it will work. I saved it in Paint as a .jmp file.

AutoCAD issue.jpg

I must say that I created my alignment before I sampled my surface. Does that really matter? If so, can you explain.

Yes, it (sampling from the surface) matters... task dependent, of course.

To your question though, what else would one show in one's profile, if not (at least) the surface grade along the alignment?

Now I will correct you on one point, you create your alignment, *then* sample from the surface, *before* you produce your profile.

An example of this logic, is if you expand the Profiles menu pull-down... you'll notice the flow of flyout menus from top to bottom:

• Profile Settings > Self explanitory
  • Surfaces > Set your current surface
  • Existing Ground > Sample your existing surface
  • *Then* Create Profile
  • ...etc.

Now this isn't rocket science, if you skip a step there are way to go back and add it in, (most times) without re-doing your profile. But put simply, if you need it done, do it right the first time, you know?

I'm just not sure that this is the cause to your current issue. :unsure:

Hope this helps!

I tried inserting a picture of the screen where the profile generator screen shows different stations.

I believe the issue of profile creation is just a symptom of the problem (in the alignment itself).

Post a pic of what it shows from within the Horizontal Alignment Editor, from the Alignments menu pull-down:

• Alignments > Edit...

Here is the alignment info.

AutoCAD issue.jpg

I believe the issue of profile creation is just a symptom of the problem (in the alignment itself).

Post a pic of what it shows from within the Horizontal Alignment Editor, from the Alignments menu pull-down:

• Alignments > Edit...

What is the Northing and Easting for station 101+40.30 as compared to the Northing and Easting for station 100+00?

Compare the same for the end stations (115+61.20 and 118+30.56, respectively).

You can not sample a surface without a current alignment. I have tried this 10 times already. I don't know what is going on here, like I said I haven't encountered this before and I have been doing this for over 10 years.:x It makes me frustrated!

I appreciate the help comments....

You can not sample a surface without a current alignment. I have tried this 10 times already.

Correct... You cannot create a profile without a current alignment either.

Nevermind, the specifics of 'how you tried' (10 times!?) without specifying a current alignment... what happened when you *DID* set the alignment current?

Same thing....I still get it showing correct stationing on my command line and then in vertical alignment showing different stations. I went in and manually put in my stations based on my northing and easting coordinates and elevations. That worked. Thank you for all your help. Strange deal...

Thanks again for taking time to respond and help me.:)

This may have nothing to do with your situation, but I've seen something similar. If your alignment goes past the border of your surface, there is no data there for the profile generator to sample, so it leaves off that portion of the profile. In other words, it won't let you draw a profile where there is nothing to profile.