Create 2D plans from a 3D model

tdwright

Hi there!

(I'm very new to this, so please excuse any inaccuracies in my choices

of terminology.)

I've succeeded produced my model in 3D, but now I need to generate plans for a contractor. Can I do this directly from my 3D model?

If it helps, I've got the latest (2011?) Inventor Suite.

Thanks,

Tom

You can create your views directly from the model in AutoCAD, (if that is what your referring), however, I find it easier to use the 'flatshot' command to create the views I need since they are easier to dimension. I have all three views in model space here but you should put them on different layers for more control.

flatshot.png

If your model is in Inventor it's even easier as it pretty much does if for you. I don't use .idw anymore and use inventor .dwg's exclusively since they can be opened and plotted directly from AutoCAD.

KC

Thanks Kencaz,

That looks pretty much like what I need. Since I'm learning though, I have a few questions about the rest of your post:

You can create your views directly from the model in AutoCAD

How do I do this?

If your model is in Inventor it's even easier as it pretty much does if for you.

Likewise, how do I do this? (Whilst I've got Inventor, I've no idea how to use it and have relied exclusively on AutoCAD. Would love to learn though!)

Tom

Since you are doing this in AutoCAD you should be aware there are two other ways of producing 2D views from 3D objects. They are Solprof and the combination commands of Solview/Soldraw. Each has its advantages and disadvantages.

Thanks guys. Can anyone recommend a tutorial on using any of these commands? I can't achieve the effect I'd like and am feeling somewhat out of my depth.

So my model is of a wooden structure and I need to produce plans for our carpenters. Flatshot looks like it would provide acceptable plans, but I can't seem to replicate the Kencaz's image.

I suppose the actual method/effect is secondary to the clarity of the plans though, so I'd be open to any relevant tutorial.