Problem with making a pocket on extruded surface

Jebachmajki

Hi,

I have a problem with making a pocket on a shaft's extruded surface. I simply can't select it and make extruded cut.

Small shaft has shown in a picture.

IMG_3082.jpg

Any advice is welcomed.

Tnx

IMG_3082.jpg

If you started your first circle about the origin, you can just use one of the standard planes(doesnt need to be on the surface) and extrude cut through the part. During extrude you can select to and from conditions using the surface(if there was other stuff in the way. What version of SW are you using?

Matt, I think on his part he needs to create a tangent workplane and cut only part way into the shaft - I don't really see a hole giong through his shaft picture.

Jebachmajki, can you zip and attach what you have completed so far?

Include information on what version of SWx you are using.

ShaftSlot_jd.zip

Shaft.zip

Thanks for a quick reply guys.

I'm beginner in SW so I'll need some help time to time.

I'm using SW 2009 so I can't open Mather's file.

In the attachment is what I've done.

Tnx again,

Marko

Hey marko, there are no dimensions on your part. How are defining its size? It looks to me as if you filled in the parameters box with your dimensions. These numbers will not actually define your sketches. They are merely a reference to lines/arc. For defining your sketches you need to use the dimension button on your sketch tool bar. When a sketch line is fully defined it will change from blue to black.

Also what are the specs for the slot. How far down into the part does it go and what is its size/location.

I did it finally. I just realized that I have to change a sketch plane and make a extruded cut from there. Sometime my brain just can't see the tree out of woods.

Simple solution, but it took me some time to figure that out.

Shaft_finished.jpg

Again, thanks for your help.

Marko

Shaft_finished.jpg