Upgrading to 2011?

Bunkerk68

:unsure: I am looking to upgrade my AutoCAD 2000i to AutoCAD 2011 3D. I am using Land Development Desktop (with Civil Design and Survey) in conjunction with AutoCAD and will this upgrade affect my LDD?

Thank you.

Yes, I do. Just wondering if they will still interact the same? Have all the same functions for creating cross sections, profiles, etc...? Just want to make sure I do some homework before I jump into it. Thanks

Affect it how? Do you have both pieces of software (full AutoCAD 2000i AND LDD 2000i)?

I could see a problem arising should you, for some reason, create a drawing in AutoCAD 2011 and want to open it in LDD 2000i. You would have to do a "Save As" in a 2000 file format. Note that some entities may not translate at all or not as well if they were created with features that are new in AutoCAD 2011. Does that answer your question or have I missed something?

You answered my question. I think I will stick with my current version, or see if I could update my LDD at the same time. Thank you.

I could see a problem arising should you, for some reason, create a drawing in AutoCAD 2011 and want to open it in LDD 2000i. You would have to do a "Save As" in a 2000 file format. Note that some entities may not translate at all or not as well if they were created with features that are new in AutoCAD 2011. Does that answer your question or have I missed something?

Correct me if I am wrong but wouldn't access to plain AutoCAD be possible through Workspaces in the 2011 version of LDD?

If not, then upgrading both pieces of software would save you some headaches down the road. The jump from 2000i to 2011 could be relatively high. I'd recommend getting a price quote from an authorized AutoDesk reseller so you know how much to budget.