Xref attach: Relative path cannot be assigned... huh?

MarcoW

Hi there,

I wanted to attach an image as Xref to my drawing. I like to set my Xref's relative but in this occasion I get the error "Relative path cannot be assigned".

Why is this? Anyone got any ideas?

My version of AutoCAD is 2011 btw.

Thanks in advance.

Hello CAD64,

Thank you for taking time to help me out.

The drawing itself is already saved, I have been working on it some time.

So that might not be the problem... I got a different message / alert (compared to your example) that said "Relative path cannot be assigned".

Now I wanted you to show the message, but now it does not pop up anymore.. :? What did I do?

But I am shure it is the same way! When I got the message, I attached it with a full path, after that I deleted the path and put in the dot ("./images/image.jpg") and it worked.

I figure that if "it works manually, but not automatically, and both ways should do the same" there might have been a temporary bug or something in the AutoCAD session that was currently opened.

Anyway, for now there seem to be no more problems, but if it appears to be back, then I will be back here :)

Thanks again,

Regards,

MarcoW.

From Help:

If the file that is being referenced is located on a different local hard drive or on a network server, the relative path option is not available.

This is just when attaching the file though, since I successfully have almost all x-refs as relative even though everything is on servers.

I have beeing seeing this issue since the office upgraded to 2010 drawings are saved (including the xrefs) same server etc, if its a bug its carried over from 2010 nicely :o :?..

• 3 years later...

Ancient thread I know but for anyone looking for the same answer to this problem I found the following workaround. As someone mentioned previously it seems to be caused by files spread across different drives/network locations, in my case I was working on a drawing located on my office server, and trying to insert a pdf underlay saved locally on my own workstation. To solve the problem I placed a copy of the pdf into the same folder as the .dwg file I was working on, re-opened the drawing and all was back to normal. Clearly Autocad searchs the folder in which the drawing file is located for any reference files, eg jpegs, pdfs etc, regardless of the originally quoted file path.

• 4 years later...

Everything work fine until today.

Now I can't insert and xref with a relative path or switch an xref with a full (absolute) path. I've done all the saving and purging, tried shutting my computer down etc.

This does not matter what file I am in or what file I am trying to insert as an xref.

Any help would be great.

REFPATHTYPE is set to 1 which is relative path by default.

Thanks

Matt.

For a path to be relative, the two file locations have to have some part of their paths in common. If (for instance) you have a local file and the xref is on the network, their paths have nothing in common. On the other hand, if all your files are spread through one project folder, they do have a common path.

If you can't switch paths for an xref, try removing it and re-inserting it.