3D Polylines for a beginner in 3d

Andre

How the heck do i draw a 3d polyline ?

It asks me to draw a rectangle then from the centre draw a 3d polyline of 3 plines each of length 45 and at 45 degs to each other ?

Andy

First it might be helpful if you knew what a 3D polyline is. I'm thinking you did NOT consult your AutoCAD Help file.

3Dpoly

"A 3D polyline is a connected sequence of straight line segments created as a single object. 3D polylines can be non-coplanar; however, they cannot include arc segments."

From AutoCAD Help:

"With the 3DPOLY command, you can create non-planar polylines that result in a POLYLINE object type. Fewer options are available with 3D polylines."

To draw a 3D polyline...

Ribbon: Home tab > Draw panel > 3D Polyline

Menu: Draw > 3D Polyline

Command line: 3dpoly

Two examples of 3D polylines (both shown in red). Each one is continuous.

3Dpoly examples.jpg

Not sure why the fourth vertical line is missing in the back image but there should have been one visible. Sorry about that.

Commands used were Rectangle, 3Dpoly, and M2P (for midpoint between two points). M2P must be used within another command like drawing a line or moving an object when AutoCAD prompts you for a basepoint. The line segments themselves were done using direct distance entry.

If you are familiar and use Polar Tracking then direct distance entry will work wonders. I suspect that the books ask you to use relative coordinates though, I know mine did at the start.

The relative coordinates way means that you first choose a basepoint and then input the relative coordinates (relative to your last chosen point) of the next point and so on.

So for instance a line 5units long alond the X-axis would be @5,0,0

A line 3units along the X-axis and 3 units along the Y-axis is @3,5,0

And a line 4units along the X, 5 along the Y and 3 along the Z will be @4,5,3

so for a line at an angle, you have to figure out what the corresponding X,Y and Z distances are.

And there are other ways to do this, but this is one way.