Viewport and plotting issues with scale

lil_d

Hi,

I am drawing up a hand-drawn drawing up using Autocad 2008. The original drawing is at 1:50 scale and fits on A4 sized paper. However, when I try to plot via Autocad at the same scale the drawing is massive and does not fit on the same page. I have set up a new page at A4 size and have created a new viewport. When I set the scale at 1:50 the drawing becomes massive when it should clearly fit on the page. I have checked the units and they are both the same so I don't understand what I am doing wrong. Any suggestions?

Thanks

If you have brought in the hand-drawn drawing into AutoCAD as a TIF or a PDF, perhaps it did not scale correctly then. Measure something that you know the lenght of to check. I recommend using SCALE > R (for reference) to scale it accordingly

No, I meant that I have drawn a hand-drawn drawing up in AutoCAD, not imported it.

As for the viewport. In the model space the drawing is at 1:1 scale so if I want to print it at 1:50 scale I need to set the viewport scale at 1:50. What I am saying is that when I do this the drawing is much larger than it should be i.e. not at 1:50 scale.

For some strange reason it is set to "custom" and then a random scale. I have now changed it to 1:1 and it works fine.

I started this as a new drawing so I don't know why it set this random scale. Do you know how I can set it so the default scale is always 1:1?

Thanks a lot.

I get the impression there are a lot of new users to layouts that assume since their viewport has a certain scale that the drawing itself should be plotted at the same scale. I guess they missed the part about plotting at 1:1.