Motion study - trying to get a door to open

barrowfordred

Hi all,

I'm using Solidworks 2008 and I'm trying to set up a motion study that shows a door opening 60° or so from the closed position.

I've added a rotary motor and set the duration from 0s to 5s, yet when I play it back the door opens and closes in about half a second and then nothing happens for the rest of the 4.5 seconds.

I do find the getting movement out of motion study to be quite perplexing. Not at all logical.

I'd be grateful for some ideas.

Thanks.

have you tried an angle mate to position the door? If you do this you can simply change the mate angle in motion study to simulate to door opening and closing. Can you attach picture of part? Do you need instruction on angle mate procedure?

Is your assembly setup properly first off. Meaning can you manually swing the door?

In your motion study have you changed from Animation to Basic motion or motion analysis?

Where was your motor applied?

In this case its probably better to use the force and under force type select torque. This will allow you to setup a force function. You also may need positive stops on the door if you want to limit its motion or put damper on it. When applying a torque you need to be careful of your selection. If you select a face(top of door) it will apply it to the center of the face. You will want to select an edge at your hinge. If your hinge and pin have zero clearance you will want to Right Click and use the Select Other dialog in order to get the correct edge.

Click to see video.

th_DoorSwing.jpg

HingeHelp.jpg

Thanks Matt, I cant seem to activate motion study with your part. Im able to click the tab but the motion study window does not appear. Strange, I'll keep trying.

Hows 2010 treating you?

Im using premium. I thought it was in pro and premium but I dont know that for sure. Im not sure if they changed the name for 2010. In 08 they were referred to as cosmos, then 09 changed to Xpress. Maybe its something else now. If you right click near your tool bars like you are going to add another tool bar there is a Motion Manager you can turn on. This will toggle the motion study tab on/off, but if you already it I would expect that to be on.

I was thinking about it bill and even if you dont have motion study you can still make use of some motion analysis tools within the assembly. Collision detection and physical dynamics built in to the move/rotate button on the Assembly Tab are handy tools. Here is a video of using collision detection in the Rotate function. It highlights both faces when they collide. You can also turn on "stop on collision" and measure the angle. Turning on physical dynamics will let solids interact with other solids such as gears or linkage, cams etc. You loose the benefit of motors, forces, springs etc that are in motion analysis though.

th_DoorSwingCollision.jpg