Installing on new computer

garlei

I'm trying to move my autocad program onto a new computer. I looked this up and I found the use of importing and exporting the files. But the thing is I can't do anything with the autocad on my new one at all. When I click on my Setup file to Install, it pops out a saying "You cannot install this product on the current operating system."

So, how can I even do the Exporting feature?

Or are there other ways??

yes I think my new computer is 64bit OS, and Im using 32bit auto-cad.. does that make a difference?

It works fine on my old laptop but I don't know what OS that one was..

I just put the file into a portable hard drive to move it.. is there better way? Thanks

I actually tried installing again from the autodesk, but it happened the same..

Yes...it does make a difference.

What OS are you using on the new computer?

The recommended procedure is to install on the new computer not move.

Well, like your error message says, you can't do it. You need AutoCAD 64bit for Windows 64bit. Sometimes the errormessage is correct.

And sometimes the error message, although correct, may give you the wrong impression.

There might be a way around this. Please respond to my original question regarding what OS you are using.

Its 64 bit OS on my new computer..

I downloaded the version from Autodesk. So should I go ahead and download 64bit AutoCad?

Thanks guys

For ease of installation your AutoCAD software should be the 64-bit version to match that of your operating system (64-bit). You never did mention which OS you're running? Windows what? XP or 7? Home Edition, Business, Pro or Ultimate?

For future reference re: running 32bit apps on a 64bit computer. From Microsoft:

"WOW64 is the x86 emulator that allows 32-bit Windows-based applications to run seamlessly on 64-bit Windows."

I'd still recommend downloading and installing 64bit AutoCAD 2011.

Addendum:

I'm running Win7 Ultimate (64-bit). There is a folder under Program Files (x86) > Windows > SysWOW64. I believe this for is included with every version of Windows 7. I'd suggest that anyone attempting to run 32-bit software on a 64-bit Win7 computer first read up on the implementation of the x86 emulator. For insurance purposes, I'd also suggest creating a Restore Point prior to installing the emulator too. Better safe than sorry, right?

Edited by ReMark

If you have any old 16bit apps then you are totally out of luck attempting to run them on a 64bit system. Again from Microsoft:

"Note that 64-bit Windows does not support running 16-bit Windows-based applications. The primary reason is that handles have 32 significant bits on 64-bit Windows. Therefore, handles cannot be truncated and passed to 16-bit applications without loss of data. Attempts to launch 16-bit applications fail with the following error: ERROR_BAD_EXE_FORMAT."