eliptical dome

ahakkimsait

ahakkimsait:

This is not as elegant a solution as posted by JDM but it does work. Originally created using AutoCAD 2004 and a lisp routine called M2S.lsp (mesh-to-lisp) when can be found and downloaded free off the Internet.

E_Dome_1.jpg

E_Dome_2.jpg

E_Dome_3.jpg

Edited by ReMark

Just so you don't have to go searching.

The file has to be renamed from the file extension of .txt to .lsp before you can load it. Use the Appload command in AutoCAD, find and select the file and AC will load it for you. To run the routine type M2S at the command line and follow the prompts.

m2s.txt

Very bad :twisted:... almost useless method.

Draw 3D sphere, slice To Have half sphere, make a block of spherical dome and scale it along only 2 axes from properties panel.

I write about it because with simple geometries (without curves) you can explode the block and use the solid modified. In this case you can't.

marmo:

Thanks for the in-depth review and words of encouragement.

I posted one possible way to do the task. I did not say it was the best way.

Hi ReMark, :)

there is a misunderstanding:

the bad method is that I have proposed.

The method that you have proposed is very useful to visualize the structure of the dome.

With a mesh you could extract edges and sweep a shepe with along extracted paths for modeling complex structures.

The method that I have proposed is bad because when modeling is completed you have a block that you can not even explode, you can not apply any control modeling or boolean operations.

The only advantage is to have a almost-parametric solid as in 3dmax.

I can only say: sorry for my english!

Marco:)

marmo (or do you prefer Marc?):

Thanks for the explanation. I will blame it all on being "lost in translation".

Unfortunately I do not always do things in the most efficient manner and have been known to forget recently added commands, like Press/Pull for example, for which I am usually taken to task by persons that shall go nameless here.

My apologies to you for the misunderstanding.